[csaa-forum] Travel bursaries for the Quite Frankly: It's a Monster Conference available now!

Elizabeth Stephens e.stephens at uq.edu.au
Thu Apr 26 14:44:22 ACST 2018

Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the availability of up to three travel bursaries to assist with travel and registration costs for the “Quite Frankly: It’s a Monster Conference” to be held at the University of Western Australia on October 18 and 19 this year. For further information on the conference, see below.

Applications are sought for a sponsored panel on the theme of “experimental life” or “experimental bodies.” Applications from any relevant discipline will be considered, and interdisciplinary work that draws on both the arts and sciences is particularly welcome. Proposals should be broadly consistent with the focus of my Future Fellowship, Understanding Collaboration Between the Arts and Sciences, which is supporting these subsidies.

Applications will be considered from those who have already submitted abstracts, as well as from those who have not.

Abstracts of 200 words with a short bio and a couple of sentences explaining why you would like to attend the conference should be send to me at e.stephens at uq.edu.au<mailto:e.stephens at uq.edu.au> by May 7. I encourage those of you intending to apply to contact me as soon as possible.

Subsidies will be to a maximum of $1500. Preference will be given to those without institutional support, such as ECRs with sessional appointments.

Please circulate this notice to interested colleagues.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Stephens
ARC Future Fellow/Associate Professor of Cultural Studies
Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities
University of Queensland, St Lucia Australia 4072
Webpage: http://uq.academia.edu/ElizabethStephens
New book: Normality: A Critical Genealogy: http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/N/bo26955753.html

Quite Frankly: It's a Monster Conference
University Club of Western Australia
18-19 October 2018

CALL FOR PAPERS<http://www.conferenceonline.com/abstract/alogin/?clear=1&warehouse_id=1423>

2018 marks 200 years since the publication of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein: or, The Modern Prometheus. Shelley’s “Creature” is usually conceived as a human creation, the stitched-together, tragic victim of scientific and technological experimentation. We rupture these stitches, revealing that the Creature is more than the sum of its parts. SymbioticA and Somatechnics join forces to present Quite Frankly: It’s a Monster Conference.

We invite you to explore the dynamic ecosystems evolving within and from the gaps between the Creature’s fragments. Life has become a raw material for re-assembling organisms, tools and consumer products. We are firmly entrenched in a “[bio]informatics of efficiency,” where both biology and technology are subjected to control, optimisation, computation and surveillance at ever decreasing and increasing scales. In light of current ecological and bio-political devastation, we induce extinction. Keep calm and contaminate. There is hope, there is resistance; the Creature offers the potential to escape control and fight back.

Quite Frankly invites explorations that (re)form kinships and provide niches of refuge and asylum for explorations at the limits of precarity. We encourage liberations of Frankenstein’s Creature from its anthropocentric singularity to an intra-active entanglement; from the living-dead to the compost-able. We revel in re-craftings of biotechnical industrialisations and commodifications and managerial aesthetics. As Karen Barad reminds us, “the political potential does not stop with regeneration, for there are other wild dimensions within and without that rage with possibilities.” Join us to unpick the Creature’s stitches and liberate its companion species.

Keynote speakers:

Karen Barad

Ambelin Kwaymullina

Kira O’Reilly