[csaa-forum] Deakin (Melbourne) Gender & Sexuality Studies seminar on 2 March — Quinn Eades on Transpoetics

Ben Hegarty b.hegarty at deakin.edu.au
Tue Feb 27 14:08:27 ACST 2018

Deakin University is pleased to announce its 2018 Gender & Sexuality Studies seminar series.

The first seminar of the year will be held at 4pm on Friday 2 March at Deakin Downtown<http://www.deakin.edu.au/locations/deakin-corporate-centres/deakin-downtown> (at 727 Collins St, near Southern Cross Station). Subsequent seminars will be held on the first Friday of each month at the same time/location, concluding on 7 December with a panel discussion.

Quinn Eades<http://www.latrobe.edu.au/humanities/about/staff/academic/profile?uname=QEades> (La Trobe) will be presenting the first public seminar of the series on the topic “TRANSPOETICS: Dialogically writing the queer and trans body in fragments”:

“In recent years we have seen an explosion of trans memoirs, but relatively few of these have a poetic sensibility or include poetry. In this paper I will extend the concept of ‘transpoetics’, first coined by trans writer and poet T.C. Tolbert in his edited collection Troubling the Line: Trans and Genderqueer Poetry and Poetics (2013), who said in a recent interview that poetry meant ‘I could do things in language and create a world for myself that I didn’t know how to inhabit with my body’. I will posit that transpoetics carries all the markers of a dialogic form, despite the fact that Bakhtin privileged the novel over poetry and poetics, claiming that poetry could only ever be monologic. I then discuss Butler’s notion of performativity alongside Jay Prosser’s interventions against using the trans body as metaphor to destabilise gender norms, and finally meditate on drag, the practice of reading, and look at transpoetics as chronotope. By placing this work alongside my own autobiographical prose poetry, this paper also performs a heteroglossic, ‘both/and’ writing of the queer and trans body.”

The seminar series is free and all are welcome. Bookings are required: please RSVP here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/first-fridays-deakin-gss-seminar-series-quinn-eades-on-transpoetics-tickets-42779629022>.

Benjamin Hegarty
Research Fellow in Gender and Sexuality Studies

[cid:image001.png at 01D35302.5D6115C0]

Deakin University
School of Communication and Creative Arts, Faculty of Arts and Education, Burwood, Victoria, 3125
0404 474 540
b.hegarty at deakin.edu.au
www.deakin.edu.au<http://www.deakin.edu.au/>
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone.

Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.