[csaa-forum] Seminar:

Astrid Lorange astrid.p.lorange at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 13:19:32 ACST 2018

Hi all!

I’d like to invite you to a talk by Dr Corey Wakeling, who is visiting
Sydney from Kobe College in Japan.

*The talk will happen in the Elwyn Lynn Conference Centre (UNSW Art &
Design, Paddington) at 2pm on Friday March 2.**

For those interested, I will be launching Corey’s new poetry collection, *The
Alarming Conservatory *(Giramondo) at Frontyard
<https://www.facebook.com/events/192811384797601/> in Marrickville at 6pm
that same day.

Abstract and bio below:

*The Problem of the Literary in Australian Poetics Today*

In this seminar, I confront the question of the function of literary value
in Australian poetics today. In my view, taste remains the dominant mode
through which poetry and poetics in Australia undergoes compilation,
publication, and discussion, while the principles of taste governing these
activities enjoys immunity from analysis. Due to a lack of engagement with
the literary in poetics more generally, the literary in Australian poetics
becomes a mystificatory pivot through which the tastes of particular
attitudes, rather than concepts, dialectics, or events of textual
singularity, vie for authority. I want to deconstruct this tendency by
confronting taste with alternative understandings of the literary provided
by diverse critics such as Claire Colebrook, Terry Eagleton, Derek
Attridge, Fredric Jameson, Ben Lerner, and Brian Reed. Divisions between
poetics and literary criticism, often more taste-driven than they may
appear, similarly confound the ability to develop discursive knowledge
about poetry in this context. Through a heterogeneous survey of prominent
literary theories, I propose that the discursive cul-de-sacs of taste crack
open when the nature of the literary subtending particular attitudes are
demystified.

Corey Wakeling is a Lecturer at Kobe College. He received a PhD in English
and Theatre Studies from the University of Melbourne in 2013, and has
published essays in journals such as *Modern Drama, TDR: The Drama Review,
Performance Research, Westerly, Cordite Poetry Review, *and *Plumwood
Mountain*. His critical writing investigates economies of attention in text
and performance. Corey is also a poet, his most recent volume *The Alarming
Conservatory* (Giramondo 2018).

* The Elwyn Lynn Conference Centre is a room just east of the library in
the 'upper' part of campus. It's a very small campus so easy to find!

--

Astrid