[csaa-forum] Australian Academy of the Humanities 2017 Symposium: 'Humanitarianism and Human Rights'

Baden Offord baden.offord at curtin.edu.au
Wed Jul 12 16:54:09 ACST 2017

Registrations now open - 2017 Symposium Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser<https://www.humanities.org.au/civicrm?page=CiviCRM&q=civicrm/mailing/view&reset=1&id=104>.

[https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/uploads/civicrm/persist/contribute/images/170321-Academy-News-Banner-CiviCRM-600px.png]

Humanitarianism and Human Rights: registrations now open

Registrations are now open<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=654&qid=4034> for the Australian Academy of the Humanities’ 48th Symposium, to be held Wednesday 15 to Friday 17 November in Western Australia.

This year’s Symposium theme is Humanitarianism and Human Rights<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=655&qid=4034>. A distinguished line-up of speakers will explore how contemporary Australia has been shaped by long intellectual and emotional histories regarding human rights and humanitarianism, and will consider the challenges facing Australia in engaging with wide-ranging human rights matters such as sexuality, disability, Indigenous rights, the environment, refugees, artificial intelligence and religious freedoms.

Speakers<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=656&qid=4034> include Director of Anti-Slavery Australia, Jennifer Burn and Race Discrimination Commissioner, Tim Soutphommasane. They join Fellows of the Academy and members of the research community from a broad range of disciplines including linguistics, history, cultural studies, classics, law and the creative arts.
See the full program here<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=655&qid=4034>.

Symposium is a public event, open to all, and will bring together a large cross-section of Academy Fellows, scholars, early career researchers, and representatives from government, education, peak bodies, industry, and the community.

Professor Susan Broomhall FAHA<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=657&qid=4034> and Professor Jane Lydon FAHA<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=657&qid=4034> from The University of Western Australia and Professor Alan Dench FAHA<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=657&qid=4034> and Professor Baden Offord<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=657&qid=4034> of Curtin University are convening this year’s Symposium. The event will provide a forum to meet, collaborate and express opinions on issues that are fundamental to the healthy functioning of an open, democratic, thriving civil society.

Early bird registrations<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=658&qid=4034> close Thursday 31 August and group bookings are welcome.

Annual Academy Lecture

The Annual Academy Lecture<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=659&qid=4034> has been a feature of the Academy calendar since 1970, and demonstrates the extraordinary breadth and depth of our Fellows’ contribution to the Australian and international humanities community, and to enriching the cultural life of the nation.

The 48th Annual Academy Lecture will be given by Professor Kim Scott FAHA<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=660&qid=4034>, novelist, descendant of the Noongar people of Western Australia and Honorary Fellow. This is a free public event held in conjunction with Symposium on Thursday 16 November at the WA Maritime Museum, Fremantle.

Symposium Sponsors

We gratefully acknowledge the support for this year’s Symposium from the co-principal sponsors Curtin University<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=661&qid=4034> and The University of Western Australia<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=662&qid=4034>, and associate sponsors Edith Cowan University<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=663&qid=4034>, the University of Notre Dame Australia<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=664&qid=4034> and our destination sponsor the Perth Convention Bureau<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=665&qid=4034>.

We also thank the Centre for Human Rights Education at Curtin University<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=666&qid=4034> and the ARC Centre of Excellence for the History of Emotions<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=667&qid=4034> for their generous contributions.

About the Academy

The humanities explore how we experience, understand and describe our world and our place in it. As the national body for the humanities<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=668&qid=4034> in Australia, we promote excellence and leadership in this endeavour.

Established by Royal Charter in 1969, we are an independent, not-for-profit organisation with a 600-strong Fellowship, leading experts in human cultures, values and beliefs. We provide independent expert advice, inform policy development, host annual events, and invest in the future through grants and awards. We are one of Australia’s four Learned Academies.

Visit our website to learn more about the work of the Academy<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=668&qid=4034>.

Follow us on Twitter<https://www.humanities.org.au/wp-content/plugins/civicrm/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=669&qid=4034>
Copyright © 2017 - Australian Academy of the Humanities, all rights reserved.

3 Liversidge Street
Acton, Canberra, ACT 2601
Australia
enquiries at humanities.org.au