[csaa-forum] Upcoming Seminar at UNSW: 'Queer characters in entertainment TV', Ava Parsemain

Collin Chua c.chua at unsw.edu.au
Thu Apr 13 08:50:26 ACST 2017

Has American television entered the “Golden Age” of queer representation?
View in your browser<http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=a98c9e57e9cf4c69871b56b36&id=332d47784a&e=>

[SAM Seminar Series] <https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/featured/sam-seminars/?mc_cid=332d47784a&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a98c9e57e9cf4c69871b56b36/images/ab284a1f-0414-4ce7-bad4-e19b98619bc5.jpg] <http://>

Queer Characters in Entertainment TV

When Tuesday 18 April, 5 – 6.30pm
Where Cinema 327, Robert Webster Building, UNSW Kensington

Since the 1990s, LGBT characters have become increasingly visible in mainstream media. But visibility does not guarantee progress. Despite recent improvements, some seemingly “queer-positive” texts have been criticised for reinforcing heteronormativity instead of challenging it.

In this seminar, I explore portrayals of gay, transgender and gender-non-confirming characters in American dramas, soap operas and reality series to explain how entertainment television teaches about queerness.

Reflecting on the historical evolution of TV queers, I compare series from the 2000s to more recent programmes to demonstrate that entertainment media has made significant progress in the last two decades. Based on case studies of Empire, I Am Cait and The Prancing Elites Project, I argue that entertainment is an integral part of the teaching process.

Dr Ava Parsemain teaches Media Studies in the School of the Arts and Media at the University of New South Wales. She currently researches representations of LGBT characters in American television and how entertainment media can educate about social issues like homophobic and transphobic discrimination and violence. Her book, The Pedagogy of Queer TV, will soon be published by Palgrave Macmillan.

Visit the event page.<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/sam-seminar-queer-characters-in-entertainment-TV/?mc_cid=332d47784a&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>
Bookings not required.

Finding us
Robert Webster Building is located mid-way off the UNSW main walkway. Map Reference G14. Cinema 327 is located on the third floor. More information on getting to UNSW.<http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/getting-uni?mc_cid=332d47784a&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>

There is limited parking on the campus but free parking is available from 6:30pm in the car park next to NIDA accessed via Day Ave.

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-facebook-48.png]<https://www.facebook.com/samUNSW/?mc_cid=332d47784a&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-instagram-48.png]<https://www.instagram.com/samunsw/?mc_cid=332d47784a&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-twitter-48.png]<https://twitter.com/samUNSW?mc_cid=332d47784a&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-medium-48.png]<https://medium.com/@samunsw?mc_cid=332d47784a&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-link-48.png]<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/?mc_cid=332d47784a&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>

Visit the School of the Arts and Media website.<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/?mc_cid=332d47784a&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>

An email for students or friends of SAM and the CPL at UNSW.