[csaa-forum] Cultural Economy Futures -- Monash University -- 11 April 2017

Mark Gibson mark.gibson at monash.edu
Tue Mar 14 15:03:54 ACST 2017

*CULTURAL ECONOMY FUTURES: A SYMPOSIUM*

Mark Banks (University of Leicester) Tully Barnett (Flinders University)
Avril Joffe (Wits University, Johannesburg) Ben Eltham (Monash University)
Dave O’ Brien (Edinburgh College of Art) Carl Grodach (Queensland
University of Technology) Susan Luckman (University of South Australia)
Kate Shaw (University of Melbourne) Julian Meyrick (Flinders University)
Deborah Stevenson (Western Sydney University) Robert Phiddian (Flinders
University) Justin O’Connor (Monash University)

Debates around the creative industries, and the ‘creative cities’ and
‘creative classes’ associated with these, have now been raging for two
decades. The celebratory rhetoric associated with their early expressions
have been met by empirically informed critical research. This has pointed
to the economic reductionism and over-inflated expectations brought by this
policy agenda; the realities and inequities of creative labour; the growing
exclusion of creative producers – and suburban consumers - from the urban
core; and the general erosion of any value for culture other than its
contribution to jobs and growth.

Yet this critical work often forgets, or disavows, the optimistic – even
utopian – impulses which gave rise to the great expectations placed on the
cultural and creative industries from the 1970s onwards. Our take-downs can
often forget the possibilities still (we hope) inherent in the idea of
culture, and the crucial importance of thinking about the ways in which it
is produced and consumed. In a world that has recently taken a turn to the
political dark side but which contains immense capacities to be transformed
into something human, where do we stand in relation to the question of
cultural economy? This symposium brings together leading Australian and
overseas researchers and thinkers in this field. They will outline how they
see the contemporary stakes in various aspects of the cultural economy.
They will cast a critical an eye to the future and look at where we might
go in the next decade – if given a chance. Some of this might be utopian
and speculative, but perhaps out of this will come a chance to seize the
initiative and develop a new program for culture, not just digging trenches
for the coming onslaught against it.

For further details, see attached.

--
Associate Prof Mark Gibson
Head, Communications and Media Studies Program

Tel: +61 3 9903 4221
Fax: +61 3 9903 4225