[csaa-forum] Survival Day 2017 Statements on Ms Dhu

Baden Offord baden.offord at curtin.edu.au
Thu Jan 26 09:56:56 ACST 2017

Towels and Stone
Neighbours from down my street are walking past with their Australian flag beach towels to have a swim on this very warm morning in Fremantle.
'But wait a second. Nobody's life or death is ever written in stone. Miss Dhu could be alive today, and thriving. Things could be very different.' - Melissa Lucashenko
(from Survival Day Statements for Md Dhu, 26 January 2017)

'We mark Survival Day 2017 with this series of comments on the painful death suffered by Ms Dhu in state custody. These statements by women from a range of countries coincide with the Women's Marches in Washington and sister marches across the world. They articulate solidarities against racist and gendered violence by the state. Ms Dhu's death and the failure of the court to respond with justice is one the most egregious instances of this violence.'
- Carolyn Lewis, Hannah McGlade and Suvendrini Perera

http://deathsincustody.org.au/statements-ms-dhu

Professor Baden Offord
Director | Dr Haruhisa Handa Chair of Human Rights Education
Professor of Cultural Studies and Human Rights
Centre for Human Rights Education | Faculty of Humanities

Curtin University
T: | +61 8 9266 7186
E: | baden.offord at curtin.edu.au
W|http://humanrights.curtin.edu.au