[csaa-forum] REMINDER: Docuverse 2017 CFP

Hannah Brasier hannahbrasier at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 09:00:51 ACST 2016

Docuverse 2017 call for proposals deadline is on the 20th of November.
Calling for workshop, showing of works and discussion proposals focusing on
new practices in the field of documentary.

DOCUVERSE 2017 – INTEGRATING NEW TECHNOLOGIES

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

After the success of their Symposium in February 2016, Docuverse will be
hosting a further annual event on the 10th of February, 2017. The event
will be taking place at RMIT University, in Melbourne, Australia.

>From their symposium in February 2016, Docuverse has grown as a forum for
discussing the intersection between theory, practice and industry, in the
expanded field of documentary. Bi-monthly events have included
work-in-progress expanded documentary projects, talks by Judith Aston
(i-Docs) and Deane Williams (Studies in Documentary Film Journal), and an
in-conversation between Adrian Miles (RMIT’s non/fictionLab) and ACMI’s Seb
Chan.

For 2017 we will continue to discuss, share, and create a community around
expanded documentary practices, including:
-interactive documentary
-participatory documentary
-the essayistic
-documentary as installation
-locative documentary
-augmented reality
-virtual reality
and explore how these practices challenge what documentary can be and do.

To kick things off for 2017, Docuverse will be hosting a one-day event to
workshop, share, discuss, and critique *the role of new technologies* in
the creation of expanded documentary projects. The questions we are asking
are:
-What is the potential of new technology in expanding documentary practices?
-What are the limitations of these new technologies to documentary?
-How do we become proficient (enough) to integrate new technologies into
our current documentary practices?
-What documentary topics or forms are best oriented towards different
technologies?

For this event, we will be tackling these questions through the array of
practices that make up the expanded documentary field. So, we are calling
for people that:
-Have made an expanded documentary project that they could show and discuss
-Are making a project they would like specific feedback on
-Could host a workshop/discussion/critique

As Docuverse is about creating a community around expanded documentary
practices, we will be preferencing proposals that steer towards creating a
discussion, as opposed to straight academic papers. Preference will also be
given to proposals from people who will be able to attend Docuverse 2017 in
Melbourne.

If you have an expanded documentary project you would like to show, or a
workshop/discussion/critique proposal please send us a few sentences about
your work or idea accompanied with a short description of how you would
like to present it on the day. These proposals should not be longer than
150 words.

Please email proposals to Kim at docuverse.symposium at gmail.com by November
20th, 2016.

Docuverse events archive: nonfictionlab.net.au/t/docuverse
Community: facebook.com/groups/docuverse
<http://nonfictionlab.net.au/t/docuverse>

Docuverse team:
Hannah Brasier (RMIT University)
Nicholas Hansen (RMIT University)
Kim Munro (RMIT University)
Franziska Weidle (University of Göttingen)

Docuverse is supported by RMIT’s non/fictionLab
nonfictionlab.net.au

--
Hannah Brasier
PhD candidate