[csaa-forum] Digital Democracy Forum, 15 September, State Library of Queensland

QUT Digital Media Research Centre Coordinator dmrc at qut.edu.au
Wed Aug 24 09:15:07 ACST 2016

[cid:A0229111-7EC5-4E89-9947-A616F823BA64]Democracy and the Media in the Digital Age

We live in uncertain and volatile times at home and abroad, when the good health of our democracy has never been more important to the quality of governance and the well-being of the Australian people. In the aftermath of the July election, as a Coalition government with a single seat majority settles in and One Nation-style populism makes a comeback, QUT's Digital Media Research Centre<http://www.qut.edu.au/research/dmrc> invites you to a public debate on the future of Australian democracy in the digital era.

Join distinguished guests Professor John Keane of Sydney University (The Life and Death of Democracy, 2009), Amy Remeikis (Political Editor, Fairfax Queensland), David Fagan (former State Editorial Director, NewsCorp, and Adjunct Professor at Queensland University of Technology), Liz Minchin (Queensland Editor, The Conversation), Paul Lucas (former Deputy Premier of Queensland), and Amanda Gearing (Walkley award winning journalist and author of The Torrent: Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley) to discuss how digital technology is impacting on our democratic process and the media which support it.

Have the rise of the Internet and social media strengthened our democracy, or made it chaotic and unruly? Has the culture of the hashtag and Facebook helped to engage people in politics, or strengthened the voice of demagogues such as Donald Trump? Are the established print and broadcast media losing their authority and influence as online voices and sources of news proliferate?

Join us to discuss these and other key questions of our time:

Thursday, September 15, 2016 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM (AEST),
State Library of Queensland - Auditorium 2 on level 2 Stanley Place, South Brisbane, QLD 4101

Register now: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/digital-democracy-symposium-tickets-26994766072