[csaa-forum] Cultural Studies in Australia and China Shanghai Jiaotong University, 7 July 2016

Baden Offord baden.offord at curtin.edu.au
Fri Mar 25 17:32:11 ACST 2016

Message from Prof David Carter (UQ)

Cultural Studies in Australia and China

Shanghai Jiaotong University, 7 July 2016

Dear Colleagues,

A proposal has arisen from discussions with  Professor Peng Qinglong of Shanghai Jiaotong University to hold a one-day symposium/workshop on 7 July at Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai PRC,  to discuss work in cultural/media studies in China and Australia and the potential for building stronger relations and collaboration between researchers in the two countries. At present there is little contact between Chinese cultural/media studies scholars and Chinese Australian Studies scholars, and there is an enormous amount of potential for putting Australian cultural/media studies scholars in closer contact with their Chinese counterparts.

One proposal to be discussed is the establishment of a Sino-Australian Cultural Studies Association.

Professor Peng is keen to involve Australian scholars and researchers in the event and he has approval from his university and funds to cover accommodation and local costs (not for air fares I'm afraid) for a certain number of Australian participants (up to ten). I have offered to assist, and I'd be keen to hear from anyone interested in attending the event (david.carter at uq.edu.au<mailto:david.carter at uq.edu.au>). It is not likely to have formal papers but rather reports on current work and brainstorming about the potential of such an Association.

If you're interested in following developments but unable to attend this particular event, please also let me know.

Those attending would also have the possibility of attending the Chinese Australian Studies Association conference which is taking place in Beijing, at Peking University, immediately afterwards, 8-10 July (see http://pkuasc.fasic.org.au/2016-australian-studies-conference-pku/

I look forward to hearing,

David Carter FAHA

Professor of Australian Literature and Cultural History

Manager, Australian Studies in China Program (Australia-China Council)

School of Communication and Arts

The University of Queensland

St Lucia QLD 4072

Australia