[csaa-forum] Event at UOW: Free Speech and Religious Freedom after Charlie Hebdo and Section 18C

Michael Griffiths mickg at uow.edu.au
Thu Mar 24 12:22:53 ACST 2016

 Roundtable: Free Speech and Religious Freedom after Charlie Hebdo and Section 18C
 PANELLISTS: ANSHUMAN MONDAL (BRUNEL UNIVERSITY), LUKE MCNAMARA (UNSW), ALANA LENTIN (WSU), RANDA ABDEL-FATAH (MACQUARIE), ERIN CHEW (PROJECT 18C).
CHAIR: MICHAEL R. GRIFFITHS (UOW)
>From the Fatwah placed on Salman Rushdie to the Danish political cartoons event of 2005 to the fallout from last year’s Charlie Hebdo attacks. Freedom of speech and freedom of religion often come into conflict with one another in the post-911 world. In Australia, in Britain and in Europe, positions derived from cultural difference—Indigenous and diasporic—have repeatedly found themselves under attack by arguments claiming to derive from the liberal ideology of free speech. Liberal political theory appears to be increasingly ill prepared to deal with the incommensurability between the right to free speech and such rights to religious freedom or cultural self-determination that can act as a check on it. Our speakers bring a range of expertise on the topic from legal scholarship to political theory to discourse analysis. The conversation promises to open up new ways to defend cultural difference from the right while maintaining the possibility of freedom beyond the terms of liberalism.
THURSDAY 7 APRIL 2016 - 2.30PM TO 4.30PM LHA RESEARCH HUB (19.2072)
Sponsored by the Centre for Texts, Cultures and Creative Industries (CTC) and the Forum on Human Rights Research (HRR). To be followed by: LIRC Public Lecture delivered by Professor Anshuman Mondal 'Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Expression in contemporary multiculture' Thursday 7 April, 5.30pm, LHA Research Hub (19.2072), University of Wollongong

[cid:F800D14D-24F8-4C64-BC48-BFE36806C0C9 at ad.uow.edu.au]

Dr. Michael R. Griffiths
Lecturer, English and Writing
School of The Arts, English and Media
Room No. G31 | Building 25
University of Wollongong NSW 2522
T + 61 2 4221 5269
F + 61 2 4221 3301
W: http://lha.uow.edu.au/taem/contacts/UOW179276.html

“A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.”
—Thomas Mann

Biopolitics and Memory in Postcolonial Literature and Culture (Ashgate 2016). Editor.
https://www.routledge.com/products/9781472449986

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the Land I work on as the first people of this country.