[csaa-forum] Seminar at UNSW: 'The World as Medium: Whitehead's Media Theory', Andrew Murphie

Collin Chua c.chua at unsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 2 08:30:05 ACST 2016

[SAM Seminar Series] <https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/featured/sam-seminars/>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a98c9e57e9cf4c69871b56b36/images/46252649-2c7c-4db9-93ee-3e1f4855b47d.jpg] <https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/sam-seminar-the-world-as-medium-whiteheads-media-theory/>

The World as Medium: Whitehead's Media Theory

Date Tuesday 15 March
Time 5 – 6.30pm
Location Cinema 327, Robert Webster Building, UNSW Kensington Campus

This talk will outline a theory of signal, affect, intensity and world, drawing largely from Whitehead and Deleuze. Along the way, I’ll provide a quick series of propositions concerning affect and politics that arise from thinking the world as medium.

I conclude with the end of media studies as we have known it, perhaps the end of media and communications studies as a whole, although the truth is that this has already occurred, even if older media studies zombies still walk among us.

A/Prof Andrew Murphie (UNSW) is currently writing two books: Differential Media, Differential Life: the past and future of social organization—that rethinks the ‘world as medium’, and On Not Performing: Technology and Intensity—that questions the performative in its managerial mode while diagramming positive alternatives found in the relations between media, thinking and feeling.

His research examines the productive nature of differential intensity across a range of fields and practices in media, science and technology, the arts and philosophy.

More information<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/sam-seminar-the-world-as-medium-whiteheads-media-theory/>

Finding us
Robert Webster Building is located mid-way off the UNSW main walkway. Map Reference G14. Cinema 327 is located on the third floor. More information on getting to UNSW.<http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/getting-uni>

There is limited parking on the campus but free parking is available from 6:30pm in the car park next to NIDA accessed via Day Ave.

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-facebook-48.png]<https://www.facebook.com/samUNSW/>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-instagram-48.png]<https://www.instagram.com/samunsw/>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-twitter-48.png]<https://twitter.com/samUNSW>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-link-48.png]<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/>

Visit the School of the Arts and Media website.<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/>

An email for staff and friends of the School of the Arts and Media, UNSW Australia.