[csaa-forum] CFP: Indigenous People and Activism on Social Media

Tanja Dreher tanjad at uow.edu.au
Thu Feb 25 13:44:47 ACST 2016

CFP circulated on behalf of Associate Professor Bronwyn Carlson (UoW). For further details, please contact Bronwyn directly at bcarlson at uow.edu.au<mailto:bcarlson at uow.edu.au>

Call for Papers

Australasian Journal of Information Systems

Special Section: Indigenous People and Activism on Social Media

Dr. Bronwyn Carlson (University of Wollongong)

Dr. Alex Wilson (University of Saskatchewan)

Dr. Acushla Sciascia, eds.

Special Section focus

Research on Indigenous use of Information and Communication Technologies:

We hope our collection will privilege Indigenous peoples and communities in efforts to make cultural, social and political change for our communities and bring to the fore the dynamic and innovative ways Indigenous peoples are actively participating in this space. Indigenous activism and social media research has yet to gain any real traction in academia and we hope that this special issue, which will be the first of its kind will address this paucity.

Title of the Special Section

Indigenous People and Activism on Social Media

About the Special Edition

Social media is transforming the way Indigenous peoples interact with each other and how we connect to other people at a local, regional, national and global level. Facebook and other social media facilitate this interaction and allow users to maintain relationships across vast distances and time zones, thereby increasing social and political connectivity and impact. Indeed, social media users transcend time and space, yet they produce content, set up links and connect communities of practice. There is now a constantly networked world in every dimension of human experience. Social movements, like every other aspect of life, are becoming increasingly reliant on online networking and information sharing. Researchers are beginning to examine the use of social media for political communication and social movements. Generally, however, such research has focused on movements that have received attention from mainstream media, (such as the 'Kony 2012' campaign that had 70 million views in five days) whereas Indigenous activism, does not always receive such attention.

Even though Indigenous populations worldwide are avid social media users, Indigenous activism and social media research has yet to gain any real traction in academia. The rapid rise of the use of social media as a means of social, cultural and political interaction among Indigenous peoples and groups is an intriguing development. While this is not to suggest there is no digital inequality, it does counter any assumptions that Indigenous peoples may have little interest in the possibilities of technology and the online environment. Social media as a 'new frontier' is where Indigenous peoples are busy interacting and networking in what can be argued as a cultural and political reterritorialisation of social media spaces.

The theme of this Special Issue is 'social media activism' - Activism is the action of campaigning to bring about cultural, social or political change. For example, Idle No More, #SOSBlackAustralia, Protect Mauna Kea and #MMIWG2S.

The goal of this collection is to privilege Indigenous voices, however non-Indigenous contribution will be considered as long as the primary author is Indigenous.

We are inviting proposals for contributions that address the broad theme of Indigenous participation in activism on social media.

Please send your abstracts (max 300 words) by 31st March 2016 to Bronwyn Carlson, bcarlson at uow.edu.au<mailto:bcarlson at uow.edu.au> or Alex Wilson alex.wilson at usask.ca<mailto:alex.wilson at usask.ca>

Dr Tanja Dreher
ARC Future Fellow
Faculty of Law, Humanities and the Arts
University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia

Stand with me for public democratic universities: sign the NAPU charter <http://napuaustralia.us9.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=e9b79bbcca9fa489e32012110&id=f624e78d12&e=7badcadde7>