[csaa-forum] Audience Research project: Turn to Face the Strange: the Fandom of David Bowie

Sean Redmond s.redmond at deakin.edu.au
Mon Jan 18 13:31:41 ACST 2016

Apologies for cross posting

Context
Toija Cinque and I are about to embark on an empirical study of Bowie fans: It begins with this launch questionnaire and then will be followed by focus groups and interviews in five key locations (New York, London, Berlin, Tokyo, Amsterdam (aca-fan workshop), and Melbourne (focused specifically on migrants), all to take place this year. It is for a monograph we are writing, built around how fans make sense and meaning of Bowie, connecting it to identity politics, memory and memorabilia, nostalgia, difference, and belonging and desire. His recent death will now also be a key strand in its architecture. We should note that toija and I are both life-long Bowie fans and this will be part of the journey of the research.

Here is the link to the questionnaire: http://goo.gl/forms/dkxspBHoc2

Would you be kind enough to distribute the link to any of your networks, folk you think might be keen to take part? Greatly appreciated.

Brief
Turn to Face the Strange: the Fandom of David Bowie
 Are you a Bowie fan? Did you grow up listening to David Bowie?
Did you dress or 'perform' like David Bowie?
Has his music, films, shows, artwork, or fashion had an impact on your identity?
Is there something about the star image of David Bowie that maintains its hold on your imagination and sense of being in the world?
Did you dress or 'perform' like David Bowie?
Has his music, films, shows, artwork, or fashion had an impact on your identity?
Is there something about the star image of David Bowie that maintains its hold on your imagination and sense of being in the world?

Thank you

Too soon

Sean and Toija

Associate Professor in Media and Communication
School of Communication and Creative Arts
Faculty of Arts and Education
Deakin University
e: s.redmond at deakin.edu.au<mailto:s.redmond at deakin.edu.au>
t: 61 3 924 43931
w: http://www.deakin.edu.au/arts-ed/scca/staff-directory2.php?username=redmond
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B
[cid:DDD89644-5E19-44A6-B063-E15E3031760D]

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone.

Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.