[csaa-forum] PhD scholarships: Community media and the politics of listening
tanjad at uow.edu.au
Wed Oct 14 22:28:45 ACST 2015
PhD Scholarships in Media Studies: Community media and the politics of listening
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 17 November 2015
Up to two PhD scholarships are available in association with the ARC future Fellowship Project, ‘Listening in’. Successful candidates will be supervised by ARC Future Fellow Dr Tanja Dreher (www.tanjadreher.net). They will be expected to research topics which complement the Future Fellowship research.
Listening in – improving recognition of community media to support democratic participation and wellbeing
New media forms and the community media sector in Australia provide increasing opportunities for diverse communities to speak up, share stories and find a voice. This project analyses the political listening practices necessary to support the potential for voice in this changing media environment. The project contributes to community wellbeing by asking to what extent community media is heard in key mainstream institutions. Case studies examine the ways in which policymakers and journalists listen in to media produced by Indigenous, Muslim and Sudanese Australians. The research engages with Indigenous knowledges, feminist political theory, critical race and whiteness studies to generate policy-relevant analysis of ethical responsiveness to activist and community media. .
Potential topics include:
- impact of Indigenous, community or alternative media
- listening practices of journalists and/or policymakers
- the politics of listening in the digital age
- intersectional or decolonizing strategies for media justice
- listening in media and political theory
- media and socio-cultural wellbeing
The Faculty of Law, Humanities and the Arts at the University of Wollongong offers a vibrant, interdisciplinary research environment. Co-supervision possibilities are available across the faculty. The successful HDR candidates will have access to the emerging international network of scholars focused on the politics, ethics and practices of ‘listening’.
Eligibility and Application Details
Applications are invited for commencement in early 2016. PhD scholarship applicants should have a record of excellent academic performance and have attained one of the following qualifications: Honours First Class, a Masters degree by research or equivalent. An Honours degree is a four-year degree which includes a thesis component. Additional relevant research experience and/or peer-reviewed research activity, awards and/or prizes will be regarded favourably. Candidates with lived experience of Indigenous and refugee communities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Both domestic and international prospective students are encouraged to apply.
For further information about the project and the PhD scholarships, please contact Tanja Dreher attanjad at uow.edu.au<mailto:tanjad at uow.edu.au>. Applicants are strongly advised to discuss the application and proposed research project by email with Dr Dreher before submitting an application.
The scholarship stipend for 2015* is $25,849pa, incremented annually for 3 years. PhD candidates are eligible to apply for faculty conference and fieldwork funding.
Applicants should submit:
1. a cover letter detailing relevant experience, a CV and an academic transcript to Tanja Dreher at tanjad at uow.edu.au
2. a full Higher Degree Research (HDR) admission application including a UOW Scholarship application viahttps://www.uow.edu.au/apply/index.html. The application should include an academic transcript, copy of passport or birth certificate and an outline of your proposed research project. In the Scholarship Details Section applicants should select ‘Other UOW Funded Scholarship’ and include the name of the Future Fellow (Dr Tanja Dreher) and the grant ID number (FT140100515)
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 17 November 2015
*2016 figure not yet released
Dr Tanja Dreher
ARC Future Fellow
Faculty of Law, Humanities and the Arts
University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Stand with me for public democratic universities: sign the NAPU charter <http://napuaustralia.us9.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=e9b79bbcca9fa489e32012110&id=f624e78d12&e=7badcadde7>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the csaa-forum