[csaa-forum] [Philosophy at UWS seminar] Sandra Field: The personhood of the multitude, April 22, 2015

Philosophy@UWS Philosophy at uws.edu.au
Wed Apr 8 13:32:43 ACST 2015

Philosophy @ UWS Seminars 2015

Philosophy @ UWS presents:

Assistant Professor Sandra Field<http://www.yale-nus.edu.sg/about/faculty/sandra-field/>
Humanities (Philosophy)

Title: The personhood of the multitude<http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/philosophy@uws/research_seminars/research_seminars_2015/sandra_field>

Date/Time: Wednesday April 22, 3.30 pm - 5.00 pm
Place: University of Western Sydney, Bankstown Campus, Building 3, Room 3.G.27  [How to get to Bankstown Campus]<http://www.uws.edu.au/campuses_structure/cas/campuses/bankstown>

Abstract
Democratic theory often makes appeal to the will of the people. But what exactly is this will? Individual humans in a society each have their own will; how and under what conditions can the multiple individual wills be combined to form a single collective will? In this paper, I interrogate the answer to these questions provided by Thomas Hobbes. Hobbes is a polemically anti-democratic thinker, but nonetheless I will argue that there are lessons in his analysis for contemporary democratic theory. First, a caution for those wishing to claim to speak in the voice of the people; and second, a caution for those hoping to find a spontaneous democratic tendency in the power of the multitude.

Bio
Dr Sandra Field<http://www.yale-nus.edu.sg/about/faculty/sandra-field/> is Assistant Professor of Humanities at Yale-NUS College.  Her research focusses on early modern political philosophy (especially Hobbes and Spinoza), and how it connects with contemporary political theory.  Her papers have appeared in the journals such as Theoria and Journal of History of Philosophy.

[Alumni Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/philosophyuws>Connect with us on Facebook:  www.facebook.com/philosophyuws<https://www.facebook.com/philosophyuws>
         For future research seminars on Philosophy, please visit www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/seminars2015<http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/seminars2015>
         For further information on Philosophy at UWS, please visit: www.uws.edu.au/philosophy<http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy>

-----

Best Regards,

Mariana Fragueiro
Administration Coordinator, Philosophy Research Initiative
University of Western Sydney
Bankstown Campus Building 5
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith NSW  2751