[csaa-forum] AHR Issue 57 now online

Russell Smith russell.smith at anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 19 15:25:52 ACST 2015

Hi all and Happy New Year for 2015!

We are pleased to announce that the new issue of Australian Humanities Review is now online: http://www.australianhumanitiesreview.org/. This issue kicks off with Helen Keane's article on the damaged glamour of cigarette-smoking, and features a special section convened by Nicole Matthews and Cath Simpson on narrative imaginings of climate change and the lives of animals on film, as well as reviews of books on Lacanian psychoanalytic practice and the multiple devastating effects of bushfires. The full table of contents is listed below.

As always, we welcome individual submissions or proposals for themed sections in any discipline of the humanities, but with an especial focus on contemporary literary and cultural theory, sexuality studies and queer theory, indigenous history and culture, and environmental humanities and eco-criticism. For 2015 we are especially interested in receiving submissions that involve practical applications or critical responses to speculative realism and new materialism, and articles addressing the transformation of intellectual labour and the precariat as 'the new dangerous class'.

For further information on submissions, see http://www.australianhumanitiesreview.org/about.html#submission
AHR is committed to Open Access publishing and is proud to be associated with Open Humanities Press: http://openhumanitiespress.org/

Warm thanks to our contributors, editorial board, and anonymous reviewers who make the publication of AHR possible.

With best wishes

Russell Smith and Monique Rooney
--
Australian Humanities Review
Edited by Monique Rooney and Russell Smith

Issue 57, November 2014

Essay
Helen Keane: Cigarettes are No Longer Sublime

Special Section
Nature Strikes Back! Genres of Revenge in the Anthropocene
Nicole Matthews and Catherine Simpson:  Editors' Introduction
Adrian Tait: Nature Reclaims Her Own: J. G. Ballard's The Drowned World
Ruth A. Morgan: Imagining a Greenhouse Future: Scientific and Literary Depictions of Climate Change in 1980s Australia
Belinda Smaill: Documentary Film and Animal Modernity in Raw Herring and Sweetgrass
Catherine Simpson: Tales of Toad Terror and Tenacity: What Cane Critters Can Teach Us

Book Reviews
Kim de Rijke, Review of Gardens of Fire: An Investigative Memoir, by Robert Kenny
Paul Magee, Review of Invention in the Real: Papers of the Freudian School of Melbourne, ed. Linda Clifton

Dr Russell Smith
Lecturer & Graduate Convenor in Literary Studies
School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
Rm 101, A.D. Hope Bldg #14
Australian National University
Canberra  ACT  2601
AUSTRALIA