[csaa-forum] Disorder Symposium - Sydney Uni 4 - 5 November update and information

Jonathan Marshall Jonathan.Marshall at uts.edu.au
Wed Oct 22 09:26:21 ACST 2014

4-5 November 2014
John Woolley Building, The University of Sydney
Hosted by the Department of Anthropology, School of Social and Political Sciences, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

The Sydney anthropology Symposium this year addresses the theme of disorder. As observers and analysts of the social, there is a tendency for anthropologists to look for underlying orders in the sometimes puzzling phenomena we encounter in the field. This Symposium asks whether the enduring reality might, in fact, be disorder and what the implications of this might be for our practice. We also ask how the concept of disorder works in the social worlds we observe: how marginal people are understood as pathologically disordered, for instance, or the impact diagnoses of political and economic disorder have on what we conceive of as probable, possible or permissible.

We are excited to announce the Franz Boas Professor of Anthropology at Columbia University, Elizabeth A. Povinelli, as our keynote speaker<http://disordersymposium.wordpress.com/elizabeth_povinelli/>, with her address “Might Be Something (Again): Order, disorder and the quasi-event.”

Povinelli is renowned for pushing the boundaries of anthropology into philosophy and vice versa. Her most recent work focuses of the governance of the otherwise in Late Liberalism and the fracturing of everyday worlds through what she calls quasi-events. She has published four books, the most recent Economies of Abandonment (Duke, 2011) and numerous essays. She is also a member of the Karrabing Film Collective.

Povinelli’s address joins an exciting program<http://disordersymposium.wordpress.com/program/> of speakers, performances and an adjacent artistic rendering of the theme of disorder to be held at Verge gallery (more info<http://disordersymposium.wordpress.com/exhibition/>).
Registrations<http://disordersymposium.wordpress.com/registration/> are now open, and we encourage broad participation from within anthropology and beyond for a lively exchange.

We will also tweet life from the Symposium, so follow us @Disorder_Anthro and look for #DisorderSymp.

Katarina Ferro
Research Assistant
Department of Anthropology
School of Social and Political Sciences  |  Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
RC Mills A26  |  UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY, NSW 2006 AUSTRALIA
P  -61-2-4684 2679  |  F -61-2-93513046  |  E Katarina.Ferro at sydney.edu.au<mailto:Katarina.Ferro at sydney.edu.au>

Follow us on Twitter: @SydneyUniAnthro
----------------------------------
"Disorder" A University of Sydney Anthropology Symposium
http://disordersymposium.wordpress.com
4-5 November 2014; John Woolley Building, The University of Sydney
Online proceedings of the symposium ‘Anthropology and the Ends of Worlds’, edited by Sebastian Job and Linda Connor. Sydney Anthropology Symposium Series Vol 1. Sydney: University of Sydney 25-26 March 2010. http://anthroendsofworlds.wordpress.com

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.