[csaa-forum] collaborative publications

Gemma Blackwood Gemma.Blackwood at cdu.edu.au
Mon Sep 1 16:00:29 CST 2014

Hi Jon and everyone,

Thanks for the provocative question today. I worked as an RA for four academics as a student/casual and I was never invited to collaborate for an article (although I dreamed about it). I never considered it as something that I was automatically entitled to, especially if it was in an area that I saw as having nothing to do with my own research. I'm still not in a position to hire research assistance at this point yet. I think that it often depends upon luck of your work supervisor, and alignment of your research interests with theirs. I wouldn't like to think of using an RA to provide research that drew directly from their own work/study without inviting a collaboration. I think it would be a good area for scholars to research, in case there are cases of exploitation.

A colleague at my Uni (in Science, not Arts/Humanities) suggested once (yes, a little facetiously) that scholars should 'beat the system' and form online syndicates or collectives of 20 people or so where you could write one article, and put twenty author names on it. That way, if each person wrote most of one article, you could have 20 co-authored papers per year! Imagine how full your CV would be!

Dr Gemma Blackwood
Lecturer and Coordinator of Communication Studies
School of Creative Arts and Humanities

Ph. +61 8 0889466617
Note: If you leave a voice message, the sound file is emailed to me even if I am out of office.
gemma.blackwood at cdu.edu.au

My research blog on the Outback in Cinema: jumpcutoutback.com
My Academia Profile Twitter: @Gemma_Blackwood

CHARLES DARWIN UNIVERSITY
Darwin, Northern Territory 0909 AUSTRALIA
CRICOS Provider No. 00300K | RTO Provider No. 0373

CHANGE YOUR WORLD