[csaa-forum] collaborative publications

Alison Bartlett alison.bartlett at uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 1 14:45:03 CST 2014

There's plenty of defensive about exploiting others in these strange new collaborative worlds,
but I'm starting to think that there are no losers in this paradigm shift,
especially now my university is giving equal publication points (not fractional) to every collaborator.

It has to assist postgrads to have a senior scholar's name on their papers, not to mention advice on how to structure, where to send, how to receive reviewers' comments, etc. It's arguably part of mentoring, modelling, and research training.
As an editor of a journal I've starting twinning authors - if a paper isn't quite up to publication, I'll offer the option of finding a more experienced scholar in the area to co-author so that it can be published. It's worked beautifully.
And forcollaborations with colleagues, discussion at the beginning of the project seems key to agreeing on coauthorship practice.

Nice to have those protocols handy Deb - thanks!

Alison Bartlett