[csaa-forum] Collaborative publications

Ann Deslandes ann.deslandes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 15:40:08 CST 2014

Hi all,

I'd ask that *the rights and needs of non-tenured academics are considered
by the tenured before any response to the issue of collaboration is
formulated further.*

I'm deeply troubled by notions such as:

"If I employ someone as an RA, it's not a collaboration since I am
basically exploiting them and thus 'own' the research."

I think this willingness to see the employer-RA relationship as
exploitative and to dismiss the potential for RAs to be co-authors of work
they collaborate on suggests an initial conversation is required regarding
the position of casual academics hired to support tenured academics'
research activity in the question of collaboration.

I'm afraid I'm not in a position to contribute to further debate on this
but wanted to put the above forward from the perspective of a long-term
casually-employed academic who remains a scholar in their own right and
expects to be both paid for their work and to be treated as a collaborator
when they have contributed conceptually and technically to the production
of a published work.

Sincerely, Ann Deslandes.