[csaa-forum] Waste: Postgraduate Interdisciplinary Conference, 8-10 Dec 2014, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia

Sam Han sam-han at live.com
Wed Aug 27 16:33:25 CST 2014

The conference may be of interest to those of you with post-graduate students.

Sam

Sam HAN
Assistant Professor of Sociology
School of Humanities & Social Sciences
Nanyang Technological University
Office: HSS-05-47, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332
Tel: (65) 6316 8744 GMT+8h

Adjunct Research Fellow
Hawke Research Institute
University of South Australia

Email: hansam at ntu.edu.sg
Web: sam-han.org

What is waste?
Who defines waste?
Why are we afraid of waste?
How do we manage waste?
Call for Papers closes September 5 2014
Opening Night Public Lecture:

Ronni Kahn, Founder and CEO of OzHarvest

Presented in collaboration with the Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre
Conference Keynote Speakers:

Honorary Associate Professor Paul Brown, University of New South Wales
Dr William Viney, Durham University, UK
Other speakers TBC
We’d rather not think about it. It evokes shame and revulsion; it implies excess or inefficiency. But in an overpopulated world, waste is an increasing concern. This conference takes an interdisplinary approach to the theme of waste to understand how we repress, confront, deny, define, fear and are fascinated by waste. From anthropological papers dealing with taboos and transgressions, historical investigations into who or what has counted as waste, literary analyses of ruins and decadence to urban planning and sociology papers on modern slums and disposable populations, we invite postgraduate students to consider how their research relates to waste. Who decides what is waste and how do we do it? Is your work a waste of tax-payers’ money? What are the cultural, social and economic factors that prevent us from dealing with waste?
We welcome academic papers, journalism and artistic works in any medium from postgraduates across Australia on the topic of waste, especially in relation to the following themes:
Global inequality and waste
Time-wasting and creativity
Taboos around defilement, pollution and waste
Wasted potential and/or opportunities
The relationship between productivity and waste
Political, sociological, historical, cultural or psychological analyses of attitudes to waste
Remnants, remainders, recycling
Cultural or artistic depictions or analyses of wastelands/ruins
Sustainability and waste
Urban wastelands/empty or negative space
Historical, sociological or political analyses of definitions of waste
How cultures of disposability shape attitudes to waste
The relation between the useful and the superfluous, the sacred and abject
Entropy
Disposable/superfluous populations and human waste
Climate change and waste
Colonialism and waste
Managing waste
Papers should be no longer than twenty minutes in duration. Artistic works, installations, performances and so forth should indicate spatial/equipment requirements and duration. Acceptance of artworks will depend on spatial availability. There is a strong possibility of post-conference publication in a peer-reviewed journal.

Abstracts should be no longer than 300 words and can be submitted to:wasteconference2014 at unisa.edu.au by Friday 5 September 2014.
For more information on this conference, please visit our website:unisa.edu.au/wasteconference2014
Supported by

Event details
Opening night public lecture
Date
Monday 8 December 2014

Time
6pm

Venue
Allan Scott Auditorium
Hawke Building
UniSA City West Campus
55 North Terrace, Adelaide

Conference
Date
Tuesday 9 & Wednesday 10 December 2014

Time
9am - 5pm (9 December)
9am - 1pm (10 December)

Venue
Bradley Forum
Level 5, Hawke Building
UniSA City West Campus
55 North Terrace, Adelaide

Contact
P: 08 8302 2656
E: wasteconference2014
@unisa.edu.au

© 2014 University of South Australia | CRICOS Provider Number: 00121B

DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY: While every effort is made by the University to ensure that accurate information is disseminated through this medium the University of South Australia makes no representation about the content and suitability of this information for any purpose. It is provided 'as is' without express or implied warranty.
View our privacy statement

--
Sam HAN
Assistant Professor of Sociology
School of Humanities & Social Sciences
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

Adjunct Research Fellow
Hawke Research Institute