[csaa-forum] REMINDER: Media at Sydney, Media justice and food justice: a tale of two struggles, Andrew Calabrese, Friday 13 June

Cesar Albarran Torres cesar.albarrantorres at sydney.edu.au
Tue Jun 3 09:01:51 CST 2014

Media at Sydney presents

Media justice and food justice: a tale of two struggles

Professor Andrew Calabrese

(University of Colorado-Boulder)

What do the political economies of the global media and food industries have in common? Large-scale industrial food producers of the world depend heavily on media and telecommunication industries for maintaining their long chains of supply, production and distribution, and for promoting consumption of the “food products” they sell. And the media industries depend heavily on industrial food producers as vital sources of commercial revenue. Through lobbying and other forms of political influence, both industries shape, limit and control public knowledge about health, safety and risk factors associated with the food we eat.

This lecture will focus on US-based media and food industries in examining struggles over both what we eat and how we communicate about what we eat. Lessons from an earlier period in US history – the “Progressive Era” of the first decades of the twentieth century – will be revisited to demonstrate the persistence of a crucial debate that pits scientific and technological expertise, on the one hand, against local community knowledge and folkways, on the other. This debate is perfectly illustrated today in the inextricable and deeply problematic connections between the means of communication and the means of human sustenance. It is a debate with consequences that extend well beyond the United States.