[csaa-forum] [UWS seminar] John Hadley: Animal rights advocacy and legitimate public deliberation

Philosophy@UWS Philosophy at uws.edu.au
Fri Oct 11 11:56:42 CST 2013

Philosophy Seminars 2013
The Writing and Society Research Centre and Philosophy at UWS present:

John Hadley (UWS)

TITLE: Animal rights advocacy and legitimate public deliberation

DATE/TIME: Wednesday 16 October, 3.30 pm - 5.00 pm

PLACE: University of Western Sydney, Bankstown Campus, Building 3, Room 3.G.54  [How to get to Bankstown Campus]<http://www.uws.edu.au/campuses_structure/cas/campuses/bankstown>

Abstract:

In this paper I offer a response to recent debate over 'direct action' animal advocacy and public deliberation in liberal democracies. Mathew Humphrey and Marc Stears (2006), and Stephen D'Arcy (2007) have argued that liberal democracies ought to tolerate direct action animal advocacy in the interests of promoting the right of proponents of nonmainstream views to inform public deliberation and decision-making. I argue that the precise scope of Humphrey and Stears and D'Arcy's analyses is unclear and important parts of their theory are underdescribed. I highlight the logical and practical implications of their claim that direct action is useful as a means of overcoming the stifling influence of conventional wisdom. I conclude by arguing that tolerance for direct action advocacy ought not to extend to controversial animal rights campaigning tactics such as making threats, using incendiary devices and damaging property.

John Hadley is a Research Lecturer in Philosophy in the School of Humanities and Communication Arts at the University of Western Sydney.  He was formerly a lecturer in philosophy in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, and Lecturer in Communication Ethics in the School of Communication, Charles Sturt University. During his PhD candidature at the University of Sydney, John lectured in the philosophy department and was a guest lecturer for USYD Laboratory Animal Services. He has published on a wide range of topics in animal and environmental ethics, including recent papers on assisting wild animals in need, animal rights extremism, the reporting of animal research in the media, and the ethical limits of veterinary expenditure. He has refereed for journals such as Journal of Applied Philosophy, Journal of Value Inquiry, Social Theory and Practice, Political Studies, Environmental Values, and Environmental Philosophy.
For the entire 2013 program of the Philosophy seminar series at UWS please visit: http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/philosophy@uws/events/research_seminars_2013

[Alumni Facebook]Visit Philosophy at UWS on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/philosophyuws

Mariana Fragueiro
Administration Coordinator, Philosophy Research Initiative
University of Western Sydney
Bankstown Campus Building 5
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith NSW  2751