[csaa-forum] FYI Adelaide CSAA peeps: UniSA, CIL Research presentation this Fri 16 August - Prof Suzanne Franzway and Dr Eric Hsu

Susan Luckman Susan.Luckman at unisa.edu.au
Wed Aug 14 14:29:53 CST 2013

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CE8F76.305E91A0]
CIL School Seminar Series
Friday 16 August, 3.00-5.00pm in room C1.41 (Magill Campus)

The presenters are....

[cid:image001.gif at 01CE98FA.BDDA9D70]      Professor Suzanne Franzway - Labour Activism and Greedy Institutions
How do individuals manage to come together to make politics? Political action, or activism, arises out of a perceived need for change and the belief that taking action and making politics can make a difference. Activism through the labour movement makes well known demands on private lives, so a related question is: how do activists negotiate these conflicting demands? The greedy institution is an evocative concept that spotlights the passions and powerful motivations of commitment as much as it draws attention to the complex and contradictory interactions between everyday life and public politics. Defining labour movements as greedy institutions, which depend on members' commitment, I argue that the sexual politics of everyday life, our private lives, makes significant differences to the expression of commitment as activism. For women, such commitment conflicts with the assumptions and expectations about the central discursive and material greedy institution in their lives, the family.

Ø  Professor Suzanne Franzway focuses her research on sexual politics, greedy institutions and epistemologies of ignorance. Her work is motivated by the puzzles and passions of the politics and everyday issues of activism. She is lead Chief Investigator on an ARC Discovery grant on Gendered violence and citizenship. Her books include Challenging Knowledge, Sex and Power: Gender, Work and Engineering UK: Routledge (2013); Making Feminist Politics: Transnational Alliances between Women and Labor (University of Illinois Press 2011); Sexual Politics and Greedy Institutions: Union Women, Commitments and Conflicts in Public and in Private (Pluto Press 2001) and Staking a Claim: Feminism, Bureaucracy and the State (Allen & Unwin, 1989). She is a founding member of the UNESCO Women's Studies and Gender Research Network, publishing an edited book Making globalisation work for women (2011) and a report on international rape policy for the European Parliament (2013). She is a long standing feminist activist in the labour movement.

[cid:image001.gif at 01CE98FA.BDDA9D70]      Dr Eric Hsu (Research Fellow, HRI) - Beyond the Binary of Fast and Slow: the Slow Food Movement and Time Shortage
>From its humble origins as a small, localized protest against the proposed opening of a McDonald's fast food restaurant in Rome, the slow food movement has grown into a worldwide phenomenon. The slow food movement has also garnered a fair amount of attention within the social sciences over the past two decades. Underpinning much of this scholarly interest is the premise that the slow food movement is more than 'just a food and wine club' (Parkins and Craig 2006: 18). By seeking to transform how food is produced and consumed in the contemporary era, the slow food movement is thought to be part of the broader movement to promote 'slower' ways of living (e.g., Parkins 2004; Parkins and Craig 2006; Tam 2008). The primary aim of this paper is to query the limits of such an interpretation. To highlight aspects of the slow food movement that may not be as incongruous to a high-speed society as commonly thought, I explore how the slow food movement relates to the phenomenon of time shortage. I undertake a discourse analysis of slow food texts in the English language to reveal that the aims and activities of the slow food movement may not wholly address the three sources of feeling 'hurried', as set out by Southerton and Tomlinson (2005). I find that a more sophisticated analysis of the slow food movement emerges if we think beyond the binary of fast and slow.

Ø  Dr Eric L Hsu is a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Hawke Research Institute, University of South Australia. Previously, he was an Associate Lecturer of sociology at Flinders University. His primary research interest revolves around the emerging sociological study of sleep. His doctoral thesis explored how sleep research can broaden our understanding of the social world. He also maintains an interest in the sociology of time (e.g., social acceleration, time shortage), globalization theory and food cultures.

ALL WELCOME - refreshments and nibbles provided
RSVP essential by reply email to CILResearch at unisa.edu.au<mailto:CILResearch at unisa.edu.au> by COB Wednesday 14th.
Martina Nist
Senior Academic Services Officer (Research)
School of Communication, International Studies & Languages (CIL)
Rm C2.17 | Tel 8302 4647
University of South Australia

associate professor susan luckman
associate head of school: research
school of communication, international studies and languages

university of south australia

Room C2-33A, Magill Campus
Tel: +618 8302 4152
Fax: +618 8302 4745