[csaa-forum] FW: Cultural Typhoon Melbourne Seminar: March 14

John Gunders j.gunders at uq.edu.au
Wed Feb 6 07:18:28 CST 2013

Cultural Typhoon Melbourne Seminar Series #1

"I am not an Asianist, but..."
On entangled interactions of "here" and "there"

Time & Date: 19:00-21:00, 14 March 2013
Place: ACJC Seminar rooms, Building H, 8th floor (H8.06),
Monash University, Caulfield Campus
(For information on travelling, parking and map, please visit www.monash.edu.au/campuses/caulfield/<http://www.monash.edu.au/campuses/caulfield/>)

Cultural Typhoon Melbourne is a group of Melbourne-based (but not exclusive of those based outside Melbourne) scholars, students and activists, interested in exploring media and cultural studies in Asian contexts. In solidarity with the Association for Cultural Typhoon based in Japan, Cultural Typhoon Melbourne will hold monthly seminars intended to create a space for the free and vigorous exchange of ideas and intellectual discussion based on anequal relationship among individuals. All are welcome to attend and participate.

The first gathering will feature two speakers, Koichi Iwabuchi (Monash University) and Fran Martin (Melbourne University), who would like to sharewith participants their research projects, concerns, predicaments, and plans for collaboration, focusing on the issues of entrapped relations of "here" and "there". What is the significance and difficulty of doing critical studies of Asia in Melbourne/Australia (and in English)? How should we do research "here" on "there" (cultural issues in Asian regions), "here and there" (inter-Asian connections), "there in here" (migrants from Asia/Asian Australians)? Can critical studies of culture enable us to rethink "here" and "there" theoretically, imaginatively, collaboratively beyond a bipolar view? We invite you to join with us in attending afresh to long-standing questions of researchers' positionalities, approaches to transnational ethno-cultural movements/connections, the de-Westernization of knowledge production, and cross-border collaboration.

Light food and drinks will be provided. We would like to ask the participants for a small contribution to cover costs ($15 for full-time employed person and $5 for others).

The schedule of Cultural Typhoon Melbourne Seminar up to June 2013 is as follows:
18 April (speakers: Audrey Yue & Jinna Tay)
16 May (speakers: Chris Healey & Olivia Khoo)
20 June (speakers: TBA)
Please mark these days in your diary now!

We look forward to seeing you on 14 March!