[csaa-forum] Rethinking School Violence: Theory, Gender, Context

Cristyn Davies cristyn.davies at sydney.edu.au
Fri Nov 23 10:19:29 CST 2012

*Apologies for cross posting

Dear colleagues,

Some of you may be interested in this new edited collection. It is currently only available in hard back, so please encourage your university libraries to purchase it. Please let me know if you'd like a review copy for a specific journal.

Best wishes,

Cristyn Davies

Rethinking School Violence: Theory, Gender, Context

Edited by Sue Slatmarsh, Kerry H. Robinson & Cristyn Davies

Palgrave Macmillan, 2012

The essays in this book examine how norms of gender, culture and educational practice contribute to school violence. Taking a sociocultural approach to understanding violence, chapters explore how language, image, text and everyday practice play a significant role in the production of violence in schools. Drawing on a range of theoretical traditions from across the humanities and social sciences, contributing authors ask readers to consider how taken-for-granted assumptions and normative schooling practices can be understood as part of the problem. The book argues that rethinking school violence involves considering more than student behaviour and prevention or management strategies. Instead, it requires that difficult questions be asked of educational institutions, their gendered power relations and systemic inequalities. The authors in this volume also provide strategies to intervene in and address violence in educational contexts.

PART I: SCHOOL VIOLENCE IN CONTEXT

'The Kid Most Likely': Naming, Brutality and Silence Within and Beyond School Settings; S.Saltmarsh

The Historical and Political Roots of School Violence in South Africa: Developing a Cross-National Theory; R.Casella

FYI…Virtual Space has a Context: Toward an Alternative Frame for Understanding Cyberbullying; A.Chapman & R.Buchanan

PART II: GENDER AND SCHOOL VIOLENCE

Sexual Harassment in Schools: Issues of Identity and Power - Negotiating the Complexities, Contexts, and Contradictions of this Everyday Practice; K.H.Robinson

Schools, Violence, Masculinities and Privilege; M.Mills

'I'm Not Scared of the Teacher – I Can Hold Him – I Can Hold Him With My Bare Hands': Schoolboys, Male Teachers and Physical Violence at a Durban Secondary School in South Africa; R.Morrell, D.Bhana & V.Hamlall

PART III: LANGUAGE, REPRESENTATION AND PRACTICE

Speaking Violence: Homophobia and the Production of Injurious Speech in Schooling Cultures; C.Davies & D.McInnes

Random School Shootings, Teen Culture and the Representation of Violence; S.Knox

Young People, Ethical Sex and Violence Prevention; M.Carmody

Conclusion; K.H.Robinson, C.Davies & S.Saltmarsh

[page1image832]

For more information go to:
http://www.palgrave.com/products/SearchResults.aspx?sid=229f46d1-6fde-4c31-b92a-67d33be5589b&fid=132147&sort=or_0