[csaa-forum] Borderzones: Brett Neilson and Sandro Mezzadra in Conversation

Katie Hepworth katie_hepworth at yahoo.it
Mon Jul 2 16:35:56 CST 2012

**Please Circulate Widely**

*Borderzones: Brett Neilson and Sandro Mezzadra in Conversation*
Politics, Colonialism, Borders Seminar Series

7pm, 5th July 2012
The Red Rattler Theatere
7 Faversham St Marrickville, NSW

https://www.facebook.com/events/378421892196414/

Come down to the Rat for the first in a monthly series of seminars on
the theme of Politics, Colonialism, Borders. The first event will be a
conversation between Brett Neilson and Sandro Mezzadra on the theme of
borderzones. The conversation will draw on work from their forthcoming
book entitled /Border as Method, or, The Multiplication of Labor/:

"Our approach to borders seeks to trace and track the relevance of their
current proliferation from the point of view of the articulation of
global processes. This means we do not see borders as devices that
obstruct or block global flows. Rather we see them as parameters that
enable the channelling of flows and provide coordinates within which
flows can be joined or segmented, connected or disconnected. The
processes of the proliferation of borders and the multiplication of
labour that we analyse in our work are crucial to the disarticulation of
the dyad citizen-worker and to the production of new, flexible and
mobile assemblages of labour markets and citizenship. Contrary to the
dominant tendency in border studies, even more pronounced after
September 11, to stress dynamics of exclusion, we focus on the changing
shape of inclusion that can be analysed assuming the perspective of the
border. In our attempt to move beyond the binary inclusion/exclusion,
pointing to the proliferation of subject positions that are neither
fully included nor fully excluded from the space of citizenship and from
labour markets, of subjectivities that are neither fully insiders nor
fully outsiders."

*Sandro Mezzadra* teaches political theory at the University of Bologna
and is adjunct fellow at the Institute for Culture and Society of the
University of Western Sydney. In the last decade his work has
particularly centred on the relations between globalization, migration
and citizenship as well as on postcolonial theory and criticism. He is
an active participant in the 'post-workerist' debate and one of the
founders of the UniNomade network (http://uninomade.org/).

*Brett Neilson* is Professor at the Institute for Culture and Society,
University of Western Sydney. He is the coordinator of the transnational
research project Transit Labour: Regions, Borders, Circuits
(http://transitlabour.asia/).

Politics, Colonialism, Borders is a series of monthly seminars organised
by the Crossborder Collective that aim to bring together activists and
academics to examine local and international movements and debates in
order to develop a counter-politics of the border beyond the eradication
of mandatory detention. In our view, any such political movement must
confront and resist Australia's colonial history and the ongoing
dispossession of indigenous peoples. If you would like to get involved
in future seminars, please email Katie Hepworth (ketiairport at gmail.com
<mailto:ketiairport at gmail.com>) or Richard Bailey (rb2k at email.com
<mailto:rb2k at email.com>).

The CBC is a Sydney based group that has been working on projects around
race, the border, migration and the state for around two years. In the
past, the Cross Border Collective has organised conferences, events,
forums, protest and direct action. For more information see:
http://crossbordersydney.org/ <http://crossbordersydney.org/>

Entry is by gold coin donations. Doors will open at 18:30 for a 19:00
start. For those attending the Life in Limbo opening at UTS beforehand,
there are direct buses from Railway Square to Marrickville, or you can
take the train to Sydenham Station.