[csaa-forum] “Regarding the Earth: Ecological Vision in Word and Image” CFP

baden.offord at scu.edu.au baden.offord at scu.edu.au
Tue Jun 26 14:45:45 CST 2012

“Regarding the Earth: Ecological Vision in Word and Image”
4th ASLEC-ANZ Biennial Conference
in association with RMIT and Monash Universities
August 31-Sept 2 2012

CALL FOR PAPERS
Confirmed keynote speakers:
Professor Ursula Heise (UC Stanford) and Professor Timothy Morton (UC Davis)

Following on from our last conference, ‘Sounding the Earth: Music, Language, and
Acoustic Ecology’ (Launceston, 2010), the 2012 ASLEC-ANZ conference, co-hosted by
RMIT and Monash Universities, continues our ecological exploration of the senses with a
focus on vision.

Papers are invited that consider the ecological implications of different
ways of perceiving, imagining, valuing and representing Earth, whether understood as
planet, place or collective, comprising a multiplicity of more-than-human entities,
agencies and processes.

The Association for the Study of Literature, Environment and
Culture (Australia-New Zealand) is a multi-disciplinary organisation, and we welcome
contributions from a wide range of research fields, including ecophilosophy,
environmental history, cultural geography, religion and ecology, science studies and art
history, as well as ecocritical literary and cultural studies.

The conference will open with a public forum at RMIT on ‘Re-Imagining the Global:
Culture and Climate Change’ on Friday evening, 31st August, at which Ursula Heise and
Tim Morton will also be speaking.

Areas for consideration include:

• Art, environment and ecological aesthetics
• Ecopoetics, biosemiotics and ontopoetics
• Environmental ethics and transpecies justice
• Prophetic witness and apocalyptic imagining
• New materialisms and speculative realism
• Mapping, modelling and inventorying
• Reading the past, envisioning the future
• Wayfaring, walking, and witnessing
• Indigenous knowledges, the colonial gaze, and postcolonial perspectives
• Ecohumanities and green pedagogies
• The earth looking back: nonhuman agency and lively worlds
• Observing human-animal entanglements

Please direct inquiries and paper and panel proposals to Aslec.Conference at monash.edu.
The deadline for submission of abstracts (c. 200 words) is June 15.