[csaa-forum] Animal Death Symposium: Registration now open!

Melissa Gregg melissa.gregg at sydney.edu.au
Mon Mar 19 12:46:36 CST 2012

HARN: Human Animal Research Network is pleased to announce that

Registration for our ANIMAL DEATH Symposium is NOW OPEN.

June 12th and 13th, 2012, University of Sydney.

EARLY BIRD RATES APPLY Until March 31st.

http://sydney.edu.au/arts/research/harn/news_events/conferences.shtml

KEYNOTE: Professor Deborah Bird Rose, Macquarie University
HARN Lecture: Associate Professor Annie Potts, NZ Centre for Human Animal Studies, University of Canterbury

WHERE: University of Sydney Camperdown Campus

This symposium brings together cross-disciplinary voices on the topic of Animal Death. Over two days we will explore how animal and human death are conceptualised; how they diverge, differ and also connect in profound ways.  The conference will be exploring the following themes:

Sacrifice and expendability
Animal art
Road Kill
Wild Life and Rescue
Species extinction and climate change
Mourning, grief and denial
Euthanasia: perspectives from veterinary science
Ontologies of Death and sacrifice
Rituals of Slaughter
Vivisection
Who and who isn’t attributed a ‘soul’
post-death belief systems
Animal death and contemporary film
The hunter and the Hunted

Please forward to anyone you think might be interested in attending.

Convenors: Fiona Probyn-Rapsey and Jay Johnston (USYD)

DR FIONA PROBYN-RAPSEY | Senior Lecturer
Gender and Cultural Studies | SOPHI
Coordinator and Executive Member of HARN: Human Animal Research Network
http://sydney.edu.au/arts/research/harn

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
J401, Main Quad A14| The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9036 5342   | F +612 9351 3918
E fiona.probyn-rapsey at sydney.edu.au | W http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/gender_cultural_studies/--