[csaa-forum] removal of journal ranking system

Russell Smith russell.smith at anu.edu.au
Tue May 31 15:14:30 CST 2011

Hi Rob

Getting rid of the journal ranking system is welcome news, but I can't make much sense of the formulation for the replacement and there is no reason for optimism about what might replace it. One bit of good news: that academics' sustained critique of the system was eventually listed to; but two bits of bad news: that a system that was so lacking in transparency and credibility ever got up in the first place; and that the rankings were quick to produce, in the words of Carr's press release, "undesirable behaviour in the management of research". In the mean time, I'd welcome any initiative that went towards counting journal editing and acting as a referee as actual work...

Best

Russell