[csaa-forum] New book - The Locals - now published

Rob Garbutt rob.garbutt at scu.edu.au
Tue Mar 29 07:54:11 CST 2011

Dear Colleagues,

My book The Locals: Identity, Place and Belonging in Australia and
Beyond has now been published and is available from Peter Lang.

The Locals examines the idea of being one of the locals through the
use of the term in the Australian print media. This examination is
situated in the context of international literature on being a local,
as well as literature on identity and place.

I have included some details from the back of the book below. Full
details can be found at
http://www.peterlang.com/index.cfm?event=cmp.ccc.seitenstruktur.detailseiten&seitentyp=produkt&pk=54511&cid=538

Kind regards,
Rob Garbutt.

-- The Locals --

The Locals: Identity, Place and Belonging in Australia and Beyond
by Rob Garbutt, Southern Cross University

This book presents the first comprehensive survey of being a local,
in particular in Australia. As in much of the colonised,
English-speaking world, in Australia the paradox is that the locals
are not indigenous peoples but migrants with a specific ethnic
heritage who became localised in time to label other migrants as the
newcomers and outsiders. Claims of belonging as 'local' provide a
crucial insight into power relations that extend beyond the local
level to questions of national identity and the ethics of belonging
in a postcolonial, multicultural nation. How have Anglo-Celtic
Australians installed themselves as locals? Where do Indigenous
Australians stand in this local politics of identity? What are the
ethical considerations for how we connect our identities to places
while also relating to others in a time of intensifying migration?
This book explores these questions via a multidisciplinary cultural
studies approach and a mixed methodology that blends a critical
language study of being local with auto-ethnographical accounts by
the author, himself a 'local'.

--
Dr. Rob Garbutt

e: rob.garbutt at scu.edu.au
t: + 61 2 6620 3162
f: + 61 2 6622 1683
i: http://works.bepress.com/robert_garbutt/

SCU CRICOS Provider Nos: NSW 01241G; QLD 03135E; WA 02621K