[csaa-forum] Fwd: [TfCcore] Postgraduate Workshop with Prof. Dipesh Chakrabarty (University of Chicago/ANU)

Devleena Ghosh Devleena.Ghosh at uts.edu.au
Mon Aug 3 18:01:57 CST 2009

> [...]
> Languages and Civilizations and the College at the University of
> Chicago.
>
> DATE: Thursday, 20th August
> TIME: 10.30 am - 12.30 pm
> WHERE: UTS Bldg. 3, Level 4, Room 4.02
>
> Dipesh Chakrabarty's research interests are in modern South Asian
> history and historiography, in postcolonial theory and its impact on
> history-writing, and in comparative studies of questions and
> politics of modernity.
>
> Workshop Participation Format:
> To participate in the workshop, please prepare a brief document (1-2
> pages) outlining how your research relates to that of Prof.
> Chakrabarty. Your outline should focus on possible ways of
> rethinking Colonialism and Globalization in light of the ideas
> discussed in two of his books "Provincializing Europe" and
> "Habitations of Modernity". Please also prepare a research question
> you wish to ask Prof. Chakrabarty.
> We will hand all participants' documents to Prof. Chakrabarty for
> prior viewing, but be prepared to read out your summary at the
> workshop as well.
>
> Register your interest quickly as there are limited places!
>
> Submission deadline is Friday, the 14th August! Please send your
> outline to: Cornelia.Betzler at uts.edu.au
>
> Should you have any questions or require further information, please
> contact IOSARN on this email address.
>
> We are looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> More IOSARN Dates for your Diary (further details tba):
> Tue, 18th August, 6 - 8 pm, UTS Gallery Function Centre, Public
> Lecture by Dipesh Chakrabarty:
> "Once Colonial, Now Global: India's Engagement with the West"
>
> Wed, 19th August, 5 - 7 pm, Reception with Dipesh Chakrabarty and
> Kathleen Stewart (Univ. of Texas, TfC Annual Lecturer) at the UTS Loft
>
> Cornelia Betzler
> Administration and Communications Officer I Transforming Cultures
> Research Centre
> Project Officer I Indian Ocean & South Asia Research Network
> Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
> University of Technology, Sydney | PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007 |
> Australia
> Ph.: +61 2 9514 2768
> www.tfc.uts.edu.au
>

> UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
> DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may
> contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, do not
> read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
> attachments. If
> you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately
> and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are
> those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
> and with authority,
> states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
> Before
> opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

(Dr) Devleena Ghosh
Director, UTS-IOSARN (Indian Ocean and South Asia Research Network)
Regional Editor, South, West and Central Asia , Asian Studies Review
Associate Professor, Social Inquiry Program
Bon Marche (Bldg 3), room 550 (enter via Harris St)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney
Australia

Postal address: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia
Phone and Voice Mail: +61-2-95141963
Fax: +61-2-95142332
www.transforming.cultures.uts.edu.au
http://research.hss.uts.edu.au/IndianOcean/

"A few hours’ mountain climbing turns a rogue and a saint into two
roughly equal creatures. Weariness is the shortest path to equality
and fraternity — and liberty is finally added by sleep." (Nietzsche)