[csaa-forum] Seminar with Professor Bernard Andrieu - Somatechnics Research Centre - 28th July

Jon Seltin Jon.Seltin at scmp.mq.edu.au
Mon Jul 20 16:35:46 CST 2009

We would like to invite you to attend the following seminar:

Professor Bernard Andrieu
(Faculté du Sport, Nancy Université France.

"Transbody: Becoming Hybrid in Self Health?"

Tuesday 28th July, 1-2pm, W6A Rm 820.
Macquarie University, North Ryde

Professor Andrieu's research engages and intervenes in medical
epistemologies of the body, querying the disembodiment upon which
they tend to rely. He is the author of a number of books, including
"The Corporeal World: On the Interactive Constitution of Self",
"Tanning: A Short History of the Sun and the Skin" and most recently,

"Becoming Hybrid". This book, which has just been published, examines

contemporary techniques of embodiment, in which technology is no
longer exterior to our bodies, but constitutes the actions of our
everyday lives. Such hybridizations are visible on and in and as our
bodies: implants, genetically modified foods, prostheses, cyborgs,
stem cells, cloning, pacemakers, chemicals, pollution. But the fear
of this hybridity, of contamination and foreign bodies troubles our
orientations, our relations with others and our behaviours. In the
face of this moralistic technophobia, this book seeks to rethink
hybridization as an ecology of iteration, of alteration and mobility.

"Becoming Hybrid" defines a node possible mode of corporeal existence

which mixes genders, cultures and bodies. From genetics to computer
generated technologies, from nanotechnology to cyberpsychology, 21st
century science opens up a new way of thinking about our identity and

modes of social interaction.

=========================
Jon Seltin
Department Administrator
Media, Music and Cultural Studies,
Faculty of Arts
Macquarie University - NSW 2109 Australia
Phone: 61-2-9850 8778
Fax: 61-2-9850 6893
Email: jon.seltin at scmp.mq.edu.au
          culstudies at scmp.mq.edu.au

Disclaimer:
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender and not necessarily the view of Macquarie
University.