[csaa-forum] CCLCS Research Seminar 8 April 2009: Kate Rigby - ‘COME FORTH INTO THE LIGHT OF THINGS’: MATERIAL SPIRIT AND NEGATIVE ECOPOETICS

Andrew Milner Andrew.Milner at arts.monash.edu.au
Tue Apr 7 11:42:28 CST 2009

Centre for Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies
Monash University
Melbourne

RESEARCH SEMINAR

Wednesday 8th April, 3.00 to 5.00 pm, Room W710, Menzies Building
(Building 11) Clayton Campus.

‘COME FORTH INTO THE LIGHT OF THINGS’:  MATERIAL SPIRIT AND NEGATIVE
ECOPOETICS
Kate Rigby

Kate Rigby is Associate Professor in Comparative Literature. Her
publications include Out of the Shadows: Contemporary German Feminist
Theory (1996), Transgressions of the Feminine (1996) and Topographies of
the Sacred: The Poetics of Place in European Romanticism (2004).

Abstract

In a poem from 1937 addressed to future generations, Bertold Brecht
famously declared that to engage in a conversation about trees was
almost a crime since it meant keeping silent about the grievous
socio-political ills of the day (above all, the rise of fascism). In
this paper, I argue that in our own ‘dark times’ of deepening ecosocial
woes, not to talk about trees would be the greater crime. The central
question that I want to address here is how literature, and in
particular lyric poetry, might contribute to this pressing conversation.
Recalling Adorno’s comments on poetry after Auschwitz, I propose that in
the era of accelerating ecocide, to write about trees (and other
non-human others) poetically is both utterly necessary and profoundly
problematic. As I have argued elsewhere, the kind of ecopoetics that is
called for in this context necessarily has a ‘negative’ dimension.
Focussing my discussion around William Wordsworth’s strange summons in
“The Tables Turned” to “come forth into the light of things”, this paper
elaborates the theory of negative ecopoetics as a literary practice that
is radically subversive of those dualistic habits of thought which, in
severing spirit from matter, mind from body, and man from nature, have
both informed, and been informed by, historical patterns of relationship
among humans and other others that can now be seen as intrinsically
unethical and ultimately ecocidal.

ALL WELCOME
Wine, cheese and nibbles will be provided.

--
Professor Andrew Milner
Graduate Coordinator
Centre for Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies
Monash University
Melbourne
Victoria 3800
AUSTRALIA