[csaa-forum] ERA Listings and journal survival

Ned Rossiter ned at nedrossiter.org
Wed Jul 16 16:32:42 CST 2008

Sorry to be the spoiler here, but this all sounds very quaint.  Are
CS academics really so naive with regard to their working conditions?
While I share the motivations and desires around so-called
independent journals, both past and present, it is pretty crucial to
make the connection between the desire for independence and
infrastructural conditions - minimal as they may be - that university
employment provides.

Like the 'free labour' of much of the open source software movement,
the independence of the more peripheral, experimental journals is as
strong as the 'free time' academics and researchers have to devote to
the administration and production of such journals.  If that time is
subtracted by increased administrative / teaching duties that arise
from the division between research 'active' and 'teaching' staff - a
division built into the regime of rankings, then it doesn't matter
how much 'good will'  and 'powerful ideas of critique' there is out
there.  Simply put, the ERA will impact upon labour conditions, and
to think otherwise is really pretty freaky.

Ned