[csaa-forum] ERA Listings and journal survival

Warwick Mules w.mules at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 16 15:40:38 CST 2008

Three cheers for Adrian Martin¹s post. I have been following the discussion
on the ERA list with much alarm as almost everyone seems to think that the
ERA listing will spell the end of smaller humanities and cultural studies
journals, including the one I edit, Transformations. It was against such
attempts to include, exclude,   measure and corporatise the Œcontent¹ of
intellectual activity that I initially started Transformations as an
independently minded e-journal in 2000. We operate without funding and with
a small team of core workers, backed by a helpful group on the editorial
board and an army of referees. We are constantly heartened by the amount of
good will from academics and others in the humanities towards ensuring  the
articles submitted are of the highest standard possible. I cannot see that
the possession or not of a high ERA ranking will change this. Indeed, it is
my hope that authors will take this opportunity to resist the
corporatisation of intellectual output in line with the powerful ideas of
critique that we follow and espouse, and continue to support and sustain
independent journal publication in Australia by continuing to submit
material and offer to referee submissions and the other things that make for
a rich, critically minded intellectual culture offering opportunities for
all (a fair go) that one assumes the CSAA supports wholeheartedly.

Regards

Warwick

Dr. Warwick Mules
General Editor  Transformations