Erratum: [csaa-forum] Re: ERA rankings

Jon Stratton J.Stratton at curtin.edu.au
Mon Jul 7 16:39:26 CST 2008

  Never thought that it would, Ariel.  ERA is a practice to produce claims about quality.  These claims can then be used by other agencies for their own purposes.  One of these purposes may well be to distinguish institutions on the basis of the quality claims made through the ERA practice in order to change the way that research funding dollars are allocated.  I note that the para from which you quoted continues: 'The Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC) managed by DIISR will continue to inform research block grant allocations until such a time as the Government considers and implements any new mechansim.'  This does not discount the additional use of the ERA 'information' as further information to make more 'subtle' the block grant allocations.  Nor does the sentence you quote stop any futher usage of the information by any other body which believes that the 'information' gained by the ERA exercise has some objective validity and which wishes to bring researchers more into line with the claims for certain journals being high quality.
     To say something else about this exercise--and, of course, I am aware that similar exercises have been carried out, used and abused, in other countries--one problem that relates to journals themselves is that, inevitably, people will try to publish in those journals that have gained the highest rankings.  This inevitably leaches material from the lower ranked journals and, as a consequence, the exercise becomes self-fulfilling.
cheers,
Jon