[csaa-forum] Re: ERA rankings

Jon Stratton J.Stratton at curtin.edu.au
Mon Jul 7 14:31:56 CST 2008

   Thanks for this, Ariel. <ponder>.  Ranking journals immediately opens the way for claims about the quality of a person's research dependent on what journals they publish in.  I find it hard to believe that, if it were found that the researchers in university x published predominantly in journals classified as C as compared to researchers in university y who published predominantly in journals classifed as A* and A, that a different valuation would be made about the quality of research at university x as compared to university y.  More, I find it hard to believe that the university administrators in university x would not start putting pressure on their researchers to publish in journals that are ranked higher because they would expect that, at some point, first prestige then funding would become issues.  Which makes me wonder, if Krishna is right, why she thinks this exercise is being perpetrated on us!
cheers,
Jon