[csaa-forum] the young ones available online, and australian rock

Jon Stratton J.Stratton at curtin.edu.au
Wed May 28 10:43:52 CST 2008

  Good Morning Everybody,
         Jon Stratton here.  Some of you might be interested to know that Curtin University library has now made my book on bodgie and widgies--Australian youth culture in the 1950s--freely available online.  The book, titled The Young Ones: Working-Class Culture, Consumption, and the Category of Youth, was published by Black Swan Press in 1992.  (The book had been completed some years earlier and there is a long story about Australian publishers thinking there would be no market for it and therefore not being prepared to publish it).  Sadly, Black Swan Press is no longer in existence so Curtin library has agreed to host the book in its open access area.  You will find that the book has been scanned in as a single document and that the page needs rotating in order to read the book satisfactorily.  I am told that this will be improved when the library has installed new scanning software.  You can find the book at: http://espace.lis.curtin.edu.au/archive/00002902/01/TheYoungOnes.pdf .
       If I may, I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you of the book that I published on Australian popular music at the end of last year.  Australian Rock: Essays on Popular Music is published by API-Network Books and can be found on the web at: http://www.api-network.com/secure/payment/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=52 .  It costs $34.95.  Please can I ask that you ask your university library to buy a copy?  And, of course, you might like to buy one for yourself!
thank you for your time,
Jon