[csaa-forum] UTS seminar: Love and Lust

Tanja Dreher tanja.dreher at uts.edu.au
Wed Apr 30 15:16:57 CST 2008

UTS Articulate Seminar 3: Love and Lust

Date: Thursday 8 May
Entry is free and there is no need to RSVP

Time: 4.00 – 6.00pm

Venue: Large Training Room, Level 6, Building 10, UTS.
Walking from Central Station along Broadway (heading west), turn right
after the UTS Tower on to Jones Street. Building 10 is then on your left.

Kath Albury (Journalism and Media Research Centre, UNSW)

Porn as Pedagogy?

Abstract: Porn as pedagogy? Some questions arising from The Porn
Report.This paper explore some of the questions about teaching and
learning raised by the process of researching, writing and promoting The
Porn Report.

Bio: Kath Albury is an ARC Postdoctoral Fellow at the Journalism and
Media Research Centre at the University of NSW. She is a co-author (with
Alan McKee and Catharine Lumby) of 'The Porn Report', Melbourne
University Press, 2008. Kath's first book 'Yes Means Yes: getting
explicit about heterosex' was based on the honours thesis she completed
for her BA Comm at UTS in 1996

Paolo Bartoloni (The University of Sydney)

The Casualisation of Love: Emotions, the Economy and Employment in
Contemporary Italy

Abstract: It is obvious that the question of how we love and what we
mean by love in post-industrial societies cannot be separated from the
question of how we work and what we mean by work (Kipnis, 2003). The
very transformation of workplace semantics, stressing the significance
of notions such as “no long term”, and employment strategies such as
those based on the value of “weak ties” (Sennett, 1998) appear to be
directly transferable to the emotional sphere. If it is true that we are
in the age of “impatient capital” (Sennett, 1998), meaning the desire
for rapid returns, it might also be true that we are in the age of
“impatient love”, meaning the demand for quickly gratifying and
consuming passion.

Bio: Paolo Bartoloni teaches Italian and Comparative Literature at the
University of Sydney. He is the author of The Cultures of Exile,
Translation and Writing (Purdue University Press, 2008), and
Interstitial Writing: Calvino, Caproni, Sereni and Svevo (Leicester:
Troubador Publishing, 2003). He has edited Re-Claiming Diversity: Essays
on Comparative Literature (Bundoora: La Trobe University, 2006), and
co-edited Intellectuals and Publics: Essays on Cultural Theory and
Practice (Bundoora: La Trobe University, 1997).

Dr Tanja Dreher
ARC Postdoctoral Fellow
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007
Email: tanja.dreher at uts.edu.au
Phone: (02) 9514 1671

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If

Think. Green. Do.