[csaa-forum] Call for expressions of interest: Secretary of the CSAA

Paul Magee Paul.Magee at canberra.edu.au
Wed Mar 5 12:07:23 CST 2008

Dear CSAA,

The following is a formal call for expressions of interest for the following
position on the CSAA executive:

Secretary

If you are interested in this position, please send a short statement (up to
250 words) to paul.magee at canberra.edu.au  describing: i) your current
position / enrolment / relation to the university, ii) your research
interests, and iii) where you would like to see the Cultural Studies
community heading.

Expressions of interest need to be received by Friday 21st of March 2008.
The current CSAA executive will elect the representative in the ensuing
weeks.

This is one of the key positions on the CSAA executive and it involves
considerable say in the running of the association, and the setting of its
policy agendas. The position does involve some time demands particularly in
the first 2-3 months of the year (a few hours a week), much less so during
the other months. The main duties concern maintaining the database of CSAA
members, taking minutes at executive meetings (one AGM and 2-3
teleconferences per year) and liaising with the publishers of Continuum, our
affiliated journal. The outgoing secretary, Belinda Morrissey, will help the
new office-holder to settle into the position. The bulk of this year¹s work
has already been done.

More formally, the duties are as follows:

> Secretary
>
> The holder of the secretarial office is appointed for a period of up to
> three years.
>
> The duties of the secretary are:
>
> * To attend the CSAA conference each year and take minutes at the CSAA AGM
> * To hold and maintain the CSAA archives, including the constitution
> * To maintain the database of CSAA members
> * To maintain the email list of CSAA members and send out calls for papers for
> * conferences, journal issues etc
> * To send out any other relevant CSAA material to the email list
> * To maintain the email list of CSAA executive committee members
> * To maintain an email list of past CSAA members who do not currently belong
> * to the Association, for publicity purposes.
> * To provide mailing lists to the publishers of the CSAA's affiliated journal
> *  To generate ideas for the work of the CSAA
> * To prepare and circulate an agenda for the CSAA AGM
> * To send out renewal letters to all members who don't attend the conference
> * at the end of the year

For further info on executive activities and current membership, please see
http://www.csaa.asn.au/about/executive.php

NB To be eligible you must be a paid-up member of the CSAA (anyone who was
registered for the full three days of last year¹s conference is
automatically a paid-up member. If not, feel free to join now, at
http://www.csaa.asn.au/index.php ). NBB while the position is normally held
by an academic, postgraduates and scholars without institutional positions
are welcome to apply.

Feel free to contact me to discuss further

Paul Magee
President, Cultural Studies Association of Australasia
Senior Lecturer in Creative Reading
Faculty of Design and Creative Practice
University of Canberra
ACT 2603