[csaa-forum] CFP: Activating Human Rights and Peace (Byron Bay, Australia, 1-4 July 2008)

rob.garbutt at scu.edu.au rob.garbutt at scu.edu.au
Tue Feb 5 14:07:21 CST 2008

SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

Activating Human Rights and
Peace

An International Conference

1-4 July 2008

Byron Bay Community and Cultural Centre,

Byron Bay NSW, Australia

"I welcome the conference on Activating Human Rights and
Peace that the Centre for Peace and Social Justice of Southern Cross
University is hosting between 1-4 July 2008. It is easy to talk about
human rights and peace.  Forests of trees are destroyed in the
documentation dealing with these subjects.  However, activating
them and translating aspirations into reality is the real challenge
for our species and our world.  A meeting devoted to translating
ideas into action will be well timed in mid-2008.  I hope that
there will be a strong attendance with many notions to challenge the
mind and to inspire action."

- Justice Michael Kirby, Patron, Centre for Peace and Social
Justice.

Confirmed Keynotes:

Aruna Gopinath

Dr, Head, Dept of Politics &
International Relations, HELP University College, Malaysia

Judy Atkinson,

Professor, Gnibi the College of
Indigenous Australian Peoples, Southern Cross University,
Australia

Dede Oetomo

Dr, Airlangga University and Founder,
Gaya Nusantara, Indonesia

Mutassim Abu El Hawa

The Arava Institute for Environmental
Studies

Kibbutz Ketura, Israel

Ilana Meallem

The Arava Institute for Environmental
Studies

Kibbutz Ketura, Israel

Graham Innes

Human Rights Commissioner, Human
Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, Australia

Adrien Wing

Bessie Dutton Murray Professor of
Law, University of Iowa Law School, USA

Ranbir Singh

Professor and Vice-Chancellor, Nalsar
University of Law, India

Kevin Clements

Professor and Director, Australian
Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Queensland,
Australia

Website:
http://www.scu.edu.au/research/cpsj/human_rights/index.html

Please send proposals for 20-25 minute papers, with a 200-word

abstract by 26 February 2008. Please see website for details.

Send to: cpsjpapers at scu.edu.au

The conference will have a mix of plenary sessions with invited
papers, and panel sessions. The conference organisers welcome papers
from scholars, researchers, postgraduates, activists, community groups
and policy makers.

See the book Activating Human Rights, edited by Elisabeth
Porter and Baden Offord (Peter Lang, Oxford, 2006).

This conference is hosted by the Centre for Peace and Social
Justice, Southern Cross University; in collaboration with the
Hawke Research Institute's Centre for Peace, Conflict &
Mediation, University of South Australia; the Australian Centre
for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Queensland, and
NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad, India, and the Human Rights
and Equal Opportunity Commission, Australia.