[csaa-forum] Difference of Opinion

Mark Gibson Mark.Gibson at arts.monash.edu.au
Fri Sep 28 10:03:37 CST 2007

Hi All,

There's been quite a bit of discussion on this list about the capacity (or
incapacity) of cultural studies to speak to general, non-academic audiences
-- eg. the 'Emma Dawson' debate last year.

I'm wondering how many saw Catharine Lumby and Alan McKee last night on the
ABC's Difference of Opinion? An exemplary performance it seemed to me.
Particularly pleasing to see CS approaches gain ground in public debate vis
a vis psychology and psychiatry (the issue was the media's role in the
sexualisation of children and its possible effects).

There was an interesting play around 'what the research shows' and what
counts as 'expertise' -- discourses, of course, which it's important to buy
into in if we want to be heard. Very nicely negotiated.

There's video at http://www.abc.net.au/tv/differenceofopinion/ and I think
it's repeated on ABC2 on Saturday. Worth a look for those who are interested
in cultural studies' public domain presence.

-- Mark