[csaa-forum] Australian Blogging Conference in Brisbane on Friday

Melissa Gregg m.gregg at uq.edu.au
Tue Sep 25 12:09:14 CST 2007

Apologies for cross-posting, but for whatever reason (including not
having time to read blogs in the first place, or maybe with Facebook
taking over?) quite a few interested people seem to have missed
hearing about this...

Jean Burgess, Axel Bruns and I are speaking in the morning session on
research blogging, and we'd really welcome a big chatty audience to
discuss the role of blogging in research, and vice versa. There is a
discussion thread up on my blog for those who can't attend but would
like to participate - I'll report back any thoughts that are left
there: http://homecookedtheory.com/archives/2007/09/24/archiving-
blogging-and-research/

This seems quite a timely event, and given that it's coinciding with
mid-semester break in some places, please come if you can -
Best wishes
Melissa

> Australian Blogging Conference
> To be held at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane,
> Queensland on 28 September 2007
>
> http://www.freedomtodiffer.com/blogoz/
>
> Over the past decade, the internet has democratised publishing,
> transforming the way in which society communicates and researches.
> Once
> web page creation required a sophisticated knowledge of HTML, but user
> friendly tools now make it possible for anyone to create a web page.
> The easiest and most common web page to create is a blog, (or a
> weblog). These blogs take the form of an online journal or diary and
> can cover any topic – from the life of a high school student to
> complex
> political analysis and debate. With the proliferation of blogs over
> the
> last two years, their authors have had a significant influence on
> popular culture, scholarship, journalism and politics.
>
> The growth of the Australian blogging community has mirrored the
> expansion of the blogosphere elsewhere in the developed world.
> However,
> there have been only a few opportunities afforded to Australian
> bloggers to get together and discuss their common interest.  This
> unconference, modelled on the successful BloggerCons in the United
> States, aims to redress this by providing a forum that will allow
> Australian bloggers to gather together and talk about blogging and the
> Australian blogosphere.  It aims to be a user-focused conference for
> the Australian blogging community.
>
> This will not be a conference in the traditional sense.  It will be
> relatively informal.  Instead of lengthy presentations, people will be
> invited lead discussions on various topics throughout the day – some
> practical, such as how to build a better blog, and some theoretical on
> the role, influence and future of blogs.
>
> It is hoped that this Australian Blogging Conference will be a
> memorable event where all participants will learn more about the
> social, cultural, creative and technological aspects of blogging from
> one another.
>
> The Australian Blogging Conference will be hosted by the Legal and
> Regulatory Program of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative
> Industries and Innovation and the Queensland University of Technology
> on Friday 28 September in Brisbane, Australia.
>
> If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, or wish to
> register
> to attend the Conference, contact:
>
> Peter Black
> Conference Director
> p2.black at qut.edu.au
> (07) 3138 2734
> 0421 636 496
> skype: peterblack79
>
> Format
> Adapted from the BloggerCon IV Format by David Winer.
>
> This will be an unusual conference. We generally won’t have speakers,
> [...]

Dr. Melissa Gregg
ARC Australian Postdoctoral Fellow
Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies
Fourth Floor, Forgan Smith Tower
The University of Queensland
QLD Australia 4072
CRICOS provider number: 00025B