[csaa-forum] CSAA public stands

Barbara Baird barbara.baird at flinders.edu.au
Tue Jul 10 12:54:10 CST 2007

Dear all

I've been away from the computer over the weekend and am just catching
up with the emails on the topic of a letter from CSAA about Howard's
intervention into NT Aboriginal communities.
Thanks for the resources people have been posting.

I accept that a letter to Howard and others may not have much political
use and that there are other ways that we can be politically effective,
and no doubt many of us already are on this and related issues,
including our teaching. I also accept the value of keeping open space
for discussion and disagreement rather than closing down such with an
insistence on consensus. The discussion on thsi has been good.

But would there be some issues that the CSAA would agree to take some
sort of public stand over? (however that may be expressed) What about
freedom of expression - one of the virtues of cultural studies according
to Paul? I know that that's not a straightforward issue to define, but I
reckon many if not all csaa members would suppport a CSAA public stand
on, say, the federal Education Minister's discriminatory intervention
into the awarding of research grants. (I don't know if the CSAA spoke on
this at the end of 2005 - I would have supported a  public voice if it
did).  Wouldn't there be some things of  academic self-interest that
would motivate us? Comment on the setting up of the RQF?

This then leads me to ask that if there might be some issues we would
support a csaa public stand on then would indigenous sovereignty be one
of them?

Are there some issues which we will always defer to debate and
disagreement and some that will be accepted as requiring a position here
and now that should be spoken? How can we tell the difference?

(In some ways I accept these are issues of principle and the pragmatics
of reaching consensus and the workload of an exec that is urged to speak
on all manner of issues is to be considered).

And on the Peter Botsman piece: I'm happy to be confronted as part of
some 'left' (nb a term which means nothing to many of my students) about
my part in not shifting white privilege and indigenous disadvantage but
to conflate 'the left' with the ALP is narrow thinking to my mind. There
might be some successful initatives or collaborations between 'the left'
and Aboriginal communities to celebrate, and 'the left' and Aboriginal
people are not always distinct things either.

best wishes
Barbara

--
Associate Professor Barbara Baird