[csaa-forum] Howard's next Tampa

Paul.Magee Paul.Magee at canberra.edu.au
Sat Jun 30 14:31:06 CST 2007

Re:

>I¹m as keen as anyone to be rid of Howard and the whole miserable turn in
>Australian politics over the last decade. But, sorry, I just don¹t believe
>it¹s as  clear cut as you make out Paul. The military have been called upon
>to provide resources to the initiative. Does this make it war? Howard¹s
>own chosen metaphor is natural disaster (the comparison with Hurricane
>Katrina etc.). Shouldn¹t we be engaging with that discourse (problematic in
>itself) rather than engaging in spurious theatricalisation of our own?

I disagree. We should always engage with the underside of the image. What's unstated is much more powerful. What else is conservativism but one big lie (with a knowing wink and nod to the audience)? Of course we shouldn't lose sight of what conservatives say they are doing, which may even be what they believe they are doing. They're probably as out of control as anyone else.

At any rate, people buy the full package. I doubt Howard would have anything like the power he wields if he were simply an ideologue. It's the hypocrite who mesmerizes, compells and even - it has to be said - excites people.

The closest social theory seems to come to finding a language for that is in metaphors from the theatre. But few people even go to the theatre nowdays. It's time we found a new language for this sort of governmentality, which clearly has a logic to it (albeit one we find hard to articulate, or even just name - a paralysing state, innate to the phenomenon at hand). I've settled on 'Howardism' as a provisonal term. Before he gets swept into the dustbin of history, why not coin a bit of conceptual value out of him?

cheers

Paul