[csaa-forum] Australian Journal of Cultural Stduies

Jon Stratton J.Stratton at curtin.edu.au
Wed Feb 21 16:46:27 CST 2007

   Hi Everybody,
      Some of you will know that what was possibly the first Cultural Studies journal was started at Curtin University of Technology and Murdoch University back in 1983.  It was called the Australian Journal of Cultural Studies.  The journal ran for four years.  In 1987, after considerable negotiation, the journal was transformed into the journal now called Cultural Studies.  Originally, the AJCS was typed up and photocopied.  It is up to others to tell this story in more detail if they like.  Anyway, I am glad to be able to tell you all that, through funding provided by the Faculty of Media, Society and Culture at Curtin I have been able to get the AJCS scanned in and made available on the web.  The journal contains articles by many people who are well-known in the area including  Graeme Turner, John Frow, Stephen Mueke, Cathy Greenfield, Tom O'Regan, Lesley Johnson and John Hartley.  The AJCS has both historical value and intellectual importance.  It is available at:
http://info.ccs.curtin.edu.au/AJCSjournal_index.cfm

and should be findable in due course through the usual search engines.  I should also like to thank Garry Gillard at Murdoch University who helped this project by making available the scanning of the journal that he had already done.
Enjoy!
Jon