[csaa-forum] Meals and Migration: A Sensory Symposium

Felicity Newman felicnew at bigpond.net.au
Sun Oct 15 13:28:54 CST 2006

Meals and Migration: A Sensory Symposium

Club Murdoch Oct 31st, 12-4pm

Registration $10 includes Lunch

Murdoch University Centre for Everyday Life invites you to eat, drink and think about stories of food and identity amongst migrant communities.

Keynote Speaker Ben Highmore from University of West England will present a paper based on his research with Bangladeshi migrants in the UK:

The Spice of Life: Migrating Foods and the Sensual Experience of Diasporic Culture.

This paper will explore the part that food culture plays in diasporic and multicultural society. Starting out by looking at the representation of 'Indian' food (high street South Asian restaurants and take-aways), and the concomitant (though much more marginal) representation of Indian consumption of English food, within UK popular culture, I argue that food is the scene for both xenophobic and xenophilic inter-cultural contact. Because food is often a focus of both racist reaction and cosmopolitan desires I theorise why food has been such a contested and viscerally active agent in the forming of multicultural Britain. Using psychoanalysis, theories of affect, and cultural history I open-up popular cultural representations on to the histories of migration and the psycho-social dynamics of alimentary culture.

Local Speakers are:

Danielle Gallegos: Food: the identity bridge

Felicity Newman: At Home in the Diaspora: Stories of Jewish Migration

Grant Stone: Begin the day with a 'good' breakfast

Farida Tilbury: Eating kebab, missing Iran

For Bookings and Enquiries phone Danielle Gallegos on 9360 7642

Please RSVP cscr at murdoch.edu.au

Or Danielle Gallegos on 9360 7642

Felicity Newman: felicnew at bigpond.net.au