[csaa-forum] CHASS newsletter 18 - September 2006

CHASS mail-list at chass.org.au
Fri Sep 1 17:01:51 CST 2006

Dear csaa-forum

CHASS Newsletter Number 18, for September 2006.

1.  ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
2.  ATTENDING AND VOTING AT THE AGM
3.  CANDIDATES FOR ELECTION TO THE BOARD
4.  PROXIES
5.  CREATIVE AND PERFORMING ARTS WORKSHOP
6.  PRODUCTIVITY COMMISSION SLAMMED
7.  MPS NAME CHASS AS A TOP LOBBY GROUP
8.  NEXT PARLIAMENTARY DINNER
9.  MY FINAL NEWSLETTER

1.  ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The AGM is at the Darlington Centre at the University of Sydney on Tuesday
19 September. Registration opens at 4 pm; the meeting begins at 4.30 and
concludes about 5.30.  Drinks and light refreshments will be served at 6 pm.

The Darlington Centre is close to the intersection of City Road and
Darlington Rd.  A map is at:

http://www.facilities.usyd.edu.au/maps/docs/guide_map_2006.pdf

2.  ATTENDING AND VOTING AT THE AGM
Members and friends of CHASS are invited to attend the AGM. If you are
attending as the nominated delegate of one of our Member Organisations, you
need to fill in the form on our web site:  www.chass.org.au

If you are attending as a friend of CHASS, you would be most welcome.
Please complete the registration form on our web site so we can organise
catering.

Only Member Organisations which have paid their subscription for 2006-07 can
vote at the AGM.  A list of current financial Members is on our web site:

http://www.chass.org.au/members/members.asp

3.  CANDIDATES FOR ELECTION TO THE BOARD
After an intensive search, the CHASS search committee is recommending the
following candidates for election to the Board fro 2006-07:

Professor Stuart Cunningham as President
Professor Linda Rosenman as Vice-President
Mr Stuart Hamilton as Secretary
Ms Julie Dyson as Treasurer
Professor Greg Craven Board Member
Professor Elizabeth More Board Member
Professor Sue Willis Board Member
Professor Sharon Bell Board Member
Professor Sue Richardson Board Member
Professor Kim Walker Board Member

(Executive Director Mr Toss Gascoigne is a non-voting Board Member, ex
officio.)

These candidates have been nominated and seconded by the Executive Directors
of the Australian Academy of the Humanities, and the Academy of Social
Sciences in Australia.

Although the Search Committee has recommended these candidates, this does
not preclude the nomination of other candidates to the Board.  Nominations
can be made by any Member Organisation on the nomination form available on
our website.  Closing date is 5 pm Tuesday 12 September.

A brief cv of all candidates will be placed on the CHASS web site in the
next few days.

4.  PROXIES
If your Member Organisation is unable to attend the AGM, it can nominate
another person to exercise its vote by completing the form on our web site.

5.  CREATIVE AND PERFORMING ARTS WORKSHOP
David Williams is organising a CHASS workshop on the Research Quality
Framework and impact in the visual and performing arts.

It is at the Victorian College of the Arts, Melbourne on Tuesday 26
September, and will enable people in the tertiary sector to discuss how the
RQF process might affect their disciplines.

This practical one-day workshop will hear a national perspective on how
"impact" might be applied in the arts, as well as reports from the trenches.

Registration, the program and further information on our web site:
www.chass.org.au

6.  PRODUCTIVITY COMMISSION SLAMMED
CHASS made a submission to the Productivity Commission inquiry into science
and innovation in Australia.

It outlined a number of ways that innovation could be encouraged; but for us
the central issue was to change a line of thinking that was dismissive of
the contribution of the humanities, arts and social sciences.

The CHASS media release read in part:

"'Australia is clinging to an out-dated view of innovation based on the
smokestack industries of the last century,'" Professor Gillies said.

"This is old-fashioned thinking.  The work of our sector is highly relevant
to innovation.  It creates new jobs and new industries; and is central to
tackling major areas of concern like health, terrorism, cyber crime and the
environment."

Fifteen other organisations (including the ARC and the AVCC) were sharply
critical of a sentence from the Issues Paper published by the Commission:

"The focus is thus on the physical and biological sciences, including
engineering, with the social sciences (and the arts and humanities) excluded
except to the extent they are relevant to innovation."

The full media release and submission are on our web site.

7.  MPS NAME CHASS AS A TOP LOBBY GROUP
When MPs were asked to nominate the most effective industry-lobby groups in
Canberra, they chose the heavy-hitters: AMA; Australian Chamber of Commerce
and Industry; Pharmacy Guild; Australian Industry Group; and NFF.

But there was space on the survey form for "others"; and here some MPs
nominated - CHASS!  So we are in the top 25 in a field of hundreds!  And the
ONLY organisation representing the interests of the tertiary sector.

The survey was carried out by a commercial organization Client Solutions,
which set out to advise industry groups how to be more effective in
representing their interests to MPs.

And Client Solutions' tip to industry groups? "Learn from the masters! Look
at what the most successful groups do and how they achieve their level of
influence."

8.  NEXT PARLIAMENTARY DINNER
CHASS regularly raises issues with MPs at dinners with federal
Parliamentarians.

The next speaker is Professor Ross Homel, lead researcher in the "Pathways
to Prevention" project.  This aims to keep young people out of jail, by
providing positive interventions in their early education.

Ross will be speaking in Canberra on 29 November.

9.  MY FINAL NEWSLETTER
This will be my final newsletter as President of CHASS.  I have been
honoured to be CHASS's inaugural President, and am awed by the depth of
commitment of our Member Organisations to quality HASS education, research
and practice.

We've advocated strong policy positions, and helped build new networks of
HASS people across Australia. There have been good policy wins, and more - I
suspect - lurk in the wings.  Now, with increasing numbers of workshops, we
are turning changed policy into changed practice.

I thank all members of the first two CHASS Boards for their service and
companionship, and salute Toss Gascoigne and our office staff for
outstanding commitment.

Yours sincerely

Malcolm Gillies
President